Candle notes

Hi guys,

Not too sure if my question belongs in this section, or the business section...but here goes.

I'm in a MESS!!! I have little pages of notes scattered everywhere and I am wondering how others store their notes for easy referencing?

Cheers,

Hells

When testing I have a binder set up with dividers that separate the different waxes I'm testing at that time, I write everything in the binder as I'm testing. Once I get a formula that works I'll input the data into an excel file and do weekly backups of the excel file to my external hard drive and a rewritable cd.

We all spend LOTS of time testing to get the perfect products so I'm not taking any chances of losing my tried and true test results.

I place all my candle 'experiences' in just a Notebook! If its something that I find on here or the internet - I print it out & then write my own notes on it on what works for me!!

I also know there has to be an easier way to keep track of everything - but so far this notebook has it all & there at my 'finger' tips when I need it.....Yep, it has sticky notes in there too but, I pretty much know where/what everything is in there.

HTH,

~Carlena~

www.carlenascreations.com

I have these candle test sheets that I down loaded from somewhere? and sorta customized them. I don't test different waxes or different wicks. I just use 4786 container wax 4625 pillar wax and cd wicks for containers and usually flat braid for pillars and go from there. On each sheet I write the name of the fo at the top, date, wax type - whether cont or pillar wax, how many lbs, how much fo, how many drops of dye, size wick, size jar, how many that 1lb made etc. Then I note if the size wick worked, if amt of fo OK, and stuff like that. I then file them ABC's in big notebook with the dividers. I do this every time I make a candle of any type. When I need to make the same one again I just go back to the last time I made it and see how much of everything I used. I keep my soy sheets together and palm sheets together separately from the paraffin wax that is in notebook since I don't make as many of them.

Does that make sense?

I have a folder setup on my computer called notes. It's a way for me to keep track of different ideas that I want to try.

I also have a notes place where I add the scent name to website that has a place for me to put notes that noone else can see. I use it to remind me how many drops of dye to use, how much I paid(so I can keep track when a supplier raises their prices), and where I get the fragrance from.

HTH,

Kim

• 5 weeks later...

I keep a couple notebooks, though it will prolly turn to a third when i get to soy and maybe gel.

In my first i list my FOs and leave a few lines between em, when i build my color for it, i write how many drops and of what colors...

i.e...

Ginger Peach

5drops orange

1 drop yellow

this notebook has a pocket on the inside cover and i have a sheet with my different formulas, since i only use straight paraffin and add what i need for my different blends.

I only have one melter, so i leave it straight and add as i pour, so im not stuck with a pot of pillar and need to pour containers or tea lights...

My second notebook is similar, but is for my containers, pillar molds, tartlet molds and such.

this has the container name, wax weight, container weight empty and poured and after a test burn (for calcing burn times), how much wax, how many and what kind of wick, ect...

It works well for me, and as im pouring if i need to make notes i keep index cards and a pen, n scribble away. Then as i clean up for the night, or at the end of the week i look at my index cards n update my notebooks if i need to.

And all of this is prolly just as clear as mud:)

----

Libby

Kaylor's Kreations

Ring binders here, a seperate binder for whatever I'm needing to keep a record of.

Say 1 for tried & tested recipes another for f.o's & suppliers, another for fragrances under testing, etc.

I currently have 8 binders all kept in a basket in my work area which get updated as I go otherwise I tend to lose track of all my notes.

I'm finding it so much easier to refer to things this way.

Sally.