Scents to wick up on

Ok I give up, I know that I have seen somewhere in the forums about "scents to wick up on". I have been searching now for 30 min and still can't find it. I have started using zinc wicks 44 's and 51's. I wantto add thoses FO's that you need to wick upon in my notes.

Thanks Lisa

I don't think there's a 'correct' answer to this. We're all using a different combo of wax/wicks/additives/fo ratios/containers & it all factors into the final results. When I used pure soy & zinc wicks there were several fo's that I either had to wick up, or would flat drown out even w/ a 62-52 zinc, which is the largest zinc I know of. Now that I've switched to GL 70/30 wax, I've not come across any fo's (so far) I've had to wick up. Also, I've found very few really seasoned & talented candle makers complain about too many issues w/ wicking up. Some would even say that wicking problems are nothing more than not having a good combo of wax/additives/wicks & any quality fo will work once you've found that Holy Grail!

Lots of people say they have to wick up on vanilla & citrus fo's. I found most blueberry fo's to be a wicking nightmare ... need to revisit those w/ this wax. More than anything, use quality products & take REALLY good notes!

Susan.

Hmmm... looking like everything except florals...lol. Maybe we should just consider the "wicked up" vanilla, citrus, sugary, and spicy ones as the normal and say to "wick down" on florals :grin2:

Not exactly true.....some Lilacs are a real pain to wick also. I've never had problems wicking gardenia, jasmine (except Jasmine/Vanilla), freesia, honeysuckle or lily of the valley. I personally don't have any citrus scents I have to wick up either.

Other wick ups: Amber, some sandalwoods, dragon's blood, patchouli, nag champa, some coconuts, buttercream.

It really just boils down to who you get your FO's from. :cool2:

I've wicked up on florals and have a vanilla that burns great. The best approach is to be guided by your testing. If your flame gets weak or your wick is drowning out when you try a new FO, try the next wick size. You might also try adjusting the FO amount. But don't do anything automatically based on what you read.

Anybody systematically compared the specific gravities of FOs that need to be wicked up versus FOs that do not? Seems to me that the FOs with higher specific gravity (more dense) would need a larger wick.

That doesn't always work, unfortunately. I have a buttercream that is thick like maple syrup and wicks like a dream, but my patchouli is thin and a bear to wick. :cool2: