New to the game, looking for some advice

Hello everyone :grin2:! My wife and I are looking into making candles...both for fun and for a little extra $$. We were wondering if there are any really nice starter kits that have a lot of 'bang for the buck'. Or...if starter kits are NOT the way to go??...apparently we need some advice. Any good tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Your friendly neighborhood NEWBIES :D

Hi. I'm a newbie too. I just posted a topic on this yesterday. I got the advice that starter kits can be good to get your feet wet and figure out what you want to do. I wanted to make container candles and just ordered a starter kit from Peak. It was about $60 including shipping. Has everything you need except a scale(I'm too new to even know if I need one) I just ordered it today. I'll be back to post how everything goes with my first candle EVER:D

Welcome to the board :)

Decide which type of candles you want to make the most, first, then get a starter kit for them. Definately a good way to get the feel of it.

Just keep in mind, this is a very expensive hobby and often takes a year or two to even break even. If you're looking to make money quick, this probably isn't the way to go. If you're doing it because you love candles, then you have a good chance at making it. Putting the obsessive addiction aside, suppiles aren't cheap, and the testing process burns a lot of those initial supplies up. Then when the addiction hits.... you can just kiss your bank account goodbye :D

I've been making candles for four years now and it's a great hobby. I basically make enough $$ to buy more candle stuff to feed my addiction. :D I love atwixend.com, they have fabulous customer service. They also have great starter kits with thorough instructions (and video) http://www.atwixend.com/category.php?starterkits I primarily make container candles but I enjoy doing votives periodically as well.

Have fun!

I'm not trying to scare ya'll off. I hope I haven't. It's just better to have an idea what you're facing going into it. At least, IMO. I had no clue how expensive it would be in the beginning, but then I was doing it for a hobby. It just became a very expensive hobby, so I'm starting to sell in hopes of supporting it some.

Read through the board here and the archives of the old one. The more knowledge you have, the better armed you are :wink2:

Ditto on expensive hobby!! I've been at it for little over a year and sell a few here & there...all special orders. I have a couple friends that are candle addicts and they were more that happy to pay cost plus a little for my testers which helped out a lot on the initial expense. When the candles burned wrong, they'd just give them back for remelt & rewicking with no cost to them but great practice for me.

Welcome! Get a starter kit to see if you even LIKE making candles, and go from there. Just be prepared for a LONG road of testing, tweaking, retesting, tweaking, testing, and testing again before you start to sell. ($$$$$) Have fun! :)

HI to all the newbies and welcome to Candletech!!!! When I first started it was with Peaks Pillar Kit and you get alot of things for your money that will get you started,,so far I see that Peaks is the way to go and the cheapest in the long run. This is an expensive hobby but is very rewarding @ the same time,,,Read the Board and the F&Q thread,,take notes,,notes and more notes,,,Read ALOT. when you do make your candles write down EVERY thing you did so you have the information on what you did and I mean down to last ity bit of Info even if you think its not important, write it down. There are alot of us here so please do not be afraid to ask questions and there are NO stupid questions!!!!

Welcome to your new ADDICTION,,,,:D