A clean up Question

I need a solution to cleaning up my equipment after I make my candles. The residue in the pour pot and what ever else I get wax on in the process. I have been running in and out from my candle room to the house washing verything with hot water and soap (down the sink) I would rather not do this due to the build up in the sewer line after time. If anyone has any alternative methods they would share it would be greatly apprectiated.

As Scented suggests, clean whatever you can with a heat gun and paper towels. You can also heat things like pots and molds in a warm oven. Any residual odor in an otherwise clean pour pot is of no consequence. It will have zero effect on any other batch.

If the surface isn't too sensitive, dripped wax can often be removed with a straight razor or something else to pry or scrape it off, then a quick hit with the heat gun and a paper towel.

In those cases where you need to remove wax residue (along with dye and odor) completely and thoroughly, nothing is going to work except a solvent. Don't bother with citrus solvents as they don't dissolve wax. The best stuff I've found is an artist-grade odorless mineral spirits called Gamsol. Any other petroleum solvent works too but that one is the safest and the most pleasant to use. It looks and smells about like water.

take a cookie pan, line it with aluminum foil, turn your oven on to "warm", put your containers, utensil,pour pot, etc. on the pan upsidedown, the wax will melt onto the lined pan, wipe off your things with a paper towel :)

I wipe down the presto pots and the pouring pots and metal spoon while still hot (or use heat gun on the pouring pots if they have cooled -that's why I have some tiny permanent scars on my forearms, heat gun = HOT! LOL) , then if I think there is still any residue in the bottom of the pots, I use a tiny bit of mold cleaner on a paper towel to get the last little remaining off the surface. That works great for me.

Some great advice here. The only thing I can add is that isopropyl alcohol works great for wiping up waxy streaks on your desktop or any hard surface. This is of course after you have scraped off what you can with something like a credit card.70% or 99% both work equally well. And leave no residue.