Candle sides are bending outwards

Hi everybody,

This is my first post and I would like to say hi to everyone!!! I've throughly enjoyed reading throughout the forum. You guys rock!:D

I've just begun making candles, purchased the wax and wicks I'm using at Hobby Lobby. The sides of the candles I've made are bending/curling outwards. :( The candles are made with plain parafin with a melt point of 133-138. I've added 3tbs of stearic acid per lb of wax, 1oz FO, and 1 dye chip. I'm not sure of the wick size, it's called for in use with a 3inch candle (made by crafty candles).

Does anyone know why the candle would do this? Is the wax still too soft?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

ItsMe

hello and welcome!

i know what wick you are talking about. in fact, i think i even still have some laying around somewhere.:wink2:

Parrafin candles tend to "bow" when they get too hot and the wax walls get weak. it could be the wick is too big for your candle. it's hard to say b/c most wicks are more specific in size and those from crafty candle are not, although i'm pretty sure it's a square braid.

what is the diameter of the candle? that determines the proper wick size. again, HL and Michaels don't carry wicks with specific sizing (like #2 square or 24 ply flat. ). i buy my wicks (now) from the web. for 3 in diameter, i use a 24 flat ply and it's actually pretty cheap on line. there are other types you can use, although i don't which. i found what i like and i;m sticking to it! :D

good luck and have lots of fun!

Like Snowcow said......we don't know exactly what you used. Welcome to "our world" of experimenting.....if you have been checking us out, you see that is what we do......and everyone's experiments differ. It is the way you hold your toungue:tongue2: .......anyway.....welcome to the board....you will find all of the help you need here. If one thing doesn't work, then come at if from another direction. People think that they can just "make a candle"....hehehe.......but if you want it to be something special....practice makes perfect......and I am still far from perfect after ten plus years. Donita

hello and welcome!

i know what wick you are talking about. in fact, i think i even still have some laying around somewhere.:wink2:

Parrafin candles tend to "bow" when they get too hot and the wax walls get weak. it could be the wick is too big for your candle. it's hard to say b/c most wicks are more specific in size and those from crafty candle are not, although i'm pretty sure it's a square braid.

what is the diameter of the candle? that determines the proper wick size. again, HL and Michaels don't carry wicks with specific sizing (like #2 square or 24 ply flat. ). i buy my wicks (now) from the web. for 3 in diameter, i use a 24 flat ply and it's actually pretty cheap on line. there are other types you can use, although i don't which. i found what i like and i;m sticking to it! :D

good luck and have lots of fun!

Thanks SnowCow,

The candle is a 3inch and I think your right about the type of wick I'm using.

You say the 24ply flat will work with plain parafin (3tbs ster acid per lb)?

I really would like to blame the Aliens as suggested here but I removed the Alien Landing Strip from my back yard last year, they kept me up all night were with the bright lights and all, so I bulldozed the darned thing.:D

Next time I purchase wax I'll take suggestions from you guys on the type to buy. Gotta get through the 50lbs I bought at HobLob for 1/2 price first.:undecided

Thanks everybody for your help,

ItsMe