Male Newb

Hello all,

How many guys are making candle's or is it just the girl's? My wife and I love candle's (Yankee) but they cost a lot. I figured why not try and make our own and did a search on google and her I am. If anyone could point me in the right direction as to where to start (supplies etc.). I have been reading this board for the past 2 days and have been thinking about getting a container starter kit from PEAK candle supplies.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! You will learn alot and soon will be disgusted by the price/quality of Yankee candles after you've acquired quality candle making supplies. Where are you located? I ask because getting wax shipped to your house can be costly, so you will want to find suppliers close to you to save on shipping.

I live on the east coast and I've used Peak's FO for 4 years, so it's a great company. But I buy my wax locally (pick-up, I'm fortunate). What type of candles are you wishing to make, containers, votives, pillars, wax melts? Soy, paraffin, blends, palm wax, etc.? There are a ton of options. If you are looking to do straight container candles I do suggest the preblended waxes, it makes life easier in the beginning. Good luck and once again, WELCOME!

It doesn't have to be expensive if you're making just for your own personal use unless you become like me -- I have 27 partially burned candles sitting around my house at the moment and I'm fighting the urge to make more:laugh2:

I've discovered that it's the making that lites my wick:)

Welcome! My wife and I just starting making candles recently as well. I must admit that it's mostly me making the candle.:cheesy2: I started out with Peak started kit and it worked great. Lot's to learn, keep reading.

Randy

Welcome to the CT family. Be sure to read the info under General Information and Techniques & Ideas on the left side of the screen. Also check to see if you local library had any books on candle making. That will help you with the terminology and safety issues.

Mostly importantly have fun.

Welcome to you and your Mrs.

Tips: stay calm, and if that doesn't scare you away, then read on:

pay attention to the % of FOs (fragrance oils) recommended by the supplier and manufacturer. More is not always better...here's where the testing comes in. Use lesser amount, then increase if you need to. Pay attention to the melting temps, and when to add FO and dye - if you plan to use dyes. These are critical factors. Every wax has its own set of 'cooking instructions'...they are not all the same. Just note the instructions and you'll be fine.

Peak's is an excellent company, but you have to decide if the shipping is worth the cost at some point - especially if you decide to make candles at a profit.

As you are on the East Coast, Candle Science is an excellent company with good products and outstanding customer service. Unfortunately, I don't think they have 'test' kits available.

Test, test, and test again. If you produce a bad product and sell it to someone, you could lose your reputation and perhaps any further sales...be very, very sure that you know what you're doing before you sell. You are liable.

Try making tarts if you are just doing this for fun. Tarts are a nice way to scent your home, and they are easy to make - also an excellent way to use up leftover wax. You can pour them into muffin tins or cupcake papers.

Don't invest in expensive candle jars if you are not going to sell. Common Mason style Jelly Jars are a good way to start out and practice on until you get the hang of it and decide if you want to persue a business. WASH the jars! There is a glaze on them that washes off but will cause your wax to pull away from the glass.

Do not put your candles in an enclosed place to 'set up'...oven, microwave, etc. You will get huge holes in them. Let them set up naturally and away from drafts. Not in a cold environment either. They have to have normal air flow.

The most important thing...Yankee isn't all it's cracked up to be...the "Y" word...boooo! lol And their fragrances are readily available from other suppliers...or 'dupes' of them anyway - but they are out there and some are pretty darn good.

Keep it simple, and have fun. Search this board for answers and help if you need to.

Good Luck to you both. I wish you well.

welcome,be afraid be very afraid. This is very addicting. It will start out small then you will get into something a little more challenging. Then before you know it your doing craft shows, stocking stores, etc.. etc..As far as advice, if at first you dont succed try try again.The good thing is you can almost always melt your mistakes.Just have fun and dont be to hard on yourself. It will take some time but once you get it. You will be one happy chandler..

I live NC, the closest big cities are Chesapeake, Norfolk and Virginia Beach, VA

That's almost my neck of the woods I'm on the peninsula in VA...I'm also one of them guys that make candles as well.

Candle Science is who i use for my wax. If you are in NC you might be close enough to drive down to Durham. to pick it up.

Another male newbie here- getting started as a hobby with my daughter. started with a pillar kit from JoAnn's last year (waste of money), then I found Peak on the web, much clearer and easier to understand. We just did our first batch of containers this weekend. Making the candles isn't nearly as tough as firguring out which wax, which wick, etc...!!! A little overwhelming!

We read the "Making Container Candles" article and went with the recommendations there (IGI 4786, 44-24-18 zinc core).

Thanks to all who post here, just getting started at reading over some of the info!

That's almost my neck of the woods I'm on the peninsula in VA...I'm also one of them guys that make candles as well.

Candle Science is who i use for my wax. If you are in NC you might be close enough to drive down to Durham. to pick it up.

How you doing up there?:yay: Durham is a little bit of a ride and I'm off on weekends and the price of gas, probably be better off just letting them ship to me.

Welcome to the boards. You will find a lot of answers to questions here. If you can't find them ask, someone here will have the answer. You will have a lot of frustration but a lot of fun and satisfaction when you make your first good candle. You will need to test a lot also. I started out with a kit (container) to see if this was what I wanted to do. It's an addiction but have a lot of fun. Good luck.

Welcome! I'm still learning a lot every day. Take notes of everything you do and I mean everything. It's very helpful when you finally hit on something good, then you can read your notes to see what you did. Have fun and good luck!

Welcome. I have to admit I started candle making but my husband joined in shortly after we got married.

The key is not to get on each other's nerves or treat the other as if you know more. There's a lot of trial and error involved in candle making. I remember when Del would get so unnerved when he messed up mixing a color and I would tell him that I've done the same myself and then we'd just bag 'em up never to been seen again and start over.

Good luck. I hope you guys stick with it and have a lot of fun. Remember two candle makers are better than one.

I didn't buy a kit when I first started out. I just bought a kilo of wax and a few wicks (with sustainers). I even cheated on buying the glassware....I looked at the size of the jars that were for the wicks and then went hunting through my cupboards!!!

My priority was just to see if I could make one....and THEN the addiction commenced!!! I used ice-cream buckets, long lfe milk cartons..everything you can imagine as molds for pillars....old vegemite jars for containers...I became completely hooked..and still am!!!

Little by little I started buying moulds, glassware, tins, scents..omg my home is more like a warehouse! heeee

Have fun

Cheers,

Hells

Should I buy a kit or just buy the supplies seperate? If a kit is recomended which one etc.

I didn't start with a kit. I just bought what I needed. Choosing wicks is what I found to be the trickiest thing. That's how I found this site - looking for advice on wicks.

It really depends on what you want to do first. If you like jars start with jars. If you like pillars start there. If you can find a kit great but the spending just starts there.

Votive and tarts are the easiest. You don't really need a kit just for those. Just the following:

Votive molds

votive wick pins

tart molds

pre-tabbed 3" wicks

pillar wax

fragrance

dye chips

pouring pot

themometer

(OMG now that I look at it - it seems like a lot right?)

You also need a double boiler for melting. I used an old worn out large aluminum spagetti pot with the strainer that fits into the pot. You can use a temperature controlled presto pot or turkey roaster for melting too but to me the old spagetti pot was a much cheaper starting investment. Now I use a converted presto pot with a spout.

When making votives and pillars I pour any left over wax into tarts. I hate having to dispose of wax or having piles of paper cups filled with wax. That got old really quick. Most people I know loves wax tarts. They're easy to give away (or better yet sell) to friends and family. You can get novelty shapped tart molds and embed molds for a more creative touch.

I could go on forever but here are a few other items I've found are invaluable.

Baking sheets (must have lip around edge) - I got them cheap at Wally-Mart. I pour everything over baking sheets, - jars, votives, tarts, pillars you name it. They help keep any spills or leaks contained. You can use old cookie sheets but once you use them for candles they can't go back to baked goods. I also clean all my aluminum supplies in the oven on baking sheets.

Paring knife and small spackle The paring knife for shaving dye blocks or chips the spackle for removing dripped wax off you stove and counter tops.

Paper towels - keep lots on hand the cheaper the better. Someone also suggested disposable blue shop towels. I've been meaning to try those.

Bamboo sticks - bag of 100 - $1 at Wally-Mart. Use them as stir sticks, to poke poke recess holes when repouring pillars and to tie off you wicks. The fat kabob sticks, not the really skinny ones.

A pyrex measuring shot glass that measure in ounces and a small scale with a tare function.

I'm sure I could think of more but I'm sure you head is spinning by now. Like I said the spending just begins with the kit.

Hello and welcome! My name is Linda and I am a scent Ho! It is a powerful addiction, my whole life seems to center around my nose. I must, must, must try to resist the urge to buy more scents. Alas, the temptation is just to much for some of us, you will be there one day. I hope you have as much fun as I have! Flame on and may the scent be with you!

Howdy, I'm a newbie too...didn't do a kit (I did look at them tho) they all seemed to be just teasers...I found Peak and ordered 10# of wax, 3 pillar molds, and wick...I admit my list falls way short of what was needed but I made do...I suggest sticking with one thing to start off, like pillar or votive...get the recommended wax and wick from Peak...

Some very helpfull things I've found:

Cookie Sheets - not only to hold and carry your molds...I also use them to cool excess wax; just pour it on the sheet, let it cool and throw it back into my wax bucket for next time...this is a good excuse to go buy new sheets; but dont use the new ones, use the old seasoned ones, the wax comes away easier...

Chop Sticks - I like Chinese food anyway so I had an excuse to go out...I use these as wick holders, stirs, and to make vent holes...to clean them just throw in hot water for a second and wipe off with a paper towel

Presto Cooker - it wasn't long before I tired of the double boiler and taking up stove space was not a family friendly activity...I saw an article on how to use a Presto Cooker to melt wax...I got one ($20+/-) and have to say it is the best purchase for my new hobby so far...just make sure you never set above 200 degrees (warm to 180 is best)...I just melt and then laddle the wax out into another container...once the pot is empty go ahead and wipe out the remaining wax film with paper towels...

Tomato Cans - empty (duh) and clean for scenting and coloring the wax...the large cans hold 1lb of wax comfortably which is perfect for my 3x4.5 pillars...I also clean these in hot water and wipe out with paper towels...

Pot Holders - things get a bit warmish when melting wax...I keep these on hand to hold my containers and molds...be sure to use the ones no one is too attached to; the wax splashes on them (just scrape the wax off with a butter knife)

Hope this helps and have fun!

- Wiscus