small candle as a car air freshener

I'm not sure how it would work for an air freshener, but I'd be careful about placing it somewhere that it might get turned over, like under your seat.

If the candle gets warm enough, it could start to melt a little on top. If it got turned over it could ruin the carpet in your car.

Instead you might want to consider sitting it in a cup holder to test it out. I imagine it would work ok for a little while, but would need some heat to work consistently. I know if I let a candle sit with the top off too long, the scent dissipates, but if I light it and let it burn for a little while then the scent seems to return.

HTH

Seems we were thinking the same thing.

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen :shocked2:

Most places get very hot or cold. Even cold places in the winter are likely to be trouble since many cars have heat vents under the seat...

You could use warning labels.... but we all know how well people pay attention to those :wink2:

Aaron,

I did hear of a local car dealer that is buying shot-glasses filled with scented wax to put in their cars so yes, it can be done but as the others have mentioned, you could run into problems with melting...and we all know what a mess that could create. I made some ornies with aroma beads last summer to test in my car (we suffer triple digit heat here) and they did just fine. On the really hot days, they were a little soft but no melting - so that's what I'd recommend...they will last at least 2 months and very easy to make.

I was reading on another board about the ornies melting and causing damage to dash board in very hot heat. My customers like to use smelly jellies in their cars. hth

If they don't cause a problem in Arizona....I don't know where they would:undecided (It's nice to know they have been tested in 100+ temp!)

If they don't cause a problem in Arizona....I don't know where they would:undecided (It's nice to know they have been tested in 100+ temp!)

My car's inside temps run around 140-150* on a summer day. I was concerned with the heat melting them so I covered my dash with a towel just in case and all went well. Now, I could see a potential problem if the car is facing the direct sun for hours & hours and the sun's rays are beating down on the windshield-- might create that magnify-glass type heat. (I have a habit of parking my car with the rear facing the sun so the steering wheel doesn't get so hot)

Believe it or not, slight changes in the process of making them can make a difference in how well the hold up. I test mine in the extreme. The first dozen tries melted off the cording and folded up. It just barely gets in the triple digits here, but my car usually goes 3 - 4 days at a time with the windows sealed closed and in direct sun from the back glass, over the car to in the front windshield. (I have have at least one disposable lighter explode in there every year when I forget to remove it :shocked2:) But if you don't make them too thick and melt just barely enough to hold together, they can stand the heat :D

Ornies I mean, not candles :laugh2:

I keep a votive candle on a saucer or some type of dish, and it does get mushy and lose it's shape. Since it's only me using my trucks I don't have to worry about kids or anybody else making a mess with it. I need to make some tarts just for this!

I'll have to make one up and test it for myself. I know it's a bit cold now, but i was thinking of putting the lids onto it and poking some holes. I've got to make a couple of small orders for those same jars, i'll make one and test it out.

Thank all for the input