I Am Devastated

southern.scents

I just got the news that my hosting company lost ALL of my data and will not be able to recover it to the point that I might edit it. They said, "We are sorry and assure you it will never happen again." I said I am pissed. As much time and effort as I have put into this site and its never gonna work again...

They better be offering a lifetime of hosting for free to pay for this mistake. I have to call today to find out how they will compensate me. I hope I can get it back up before my newspaper feature because that will be TONS of lost business. Hopefully I can throw something together.

Sorry for the Rant.

I am so sorry that happened to you. They might eventually be able to recover it. My host had that happen in Nov. and everything was down for 2 weeks. When it finally came up it brought up my old site and I got after them to recover the updated website. It can happen if they persist and work at getting some things recovered. Do you have any of your photos saved on your own computer? That will help you alot. What I do now is print out my whole website and save everything I can. If this happens again which is a possibility then it will make it easier to redo the website. I wish you lots of luck..

I am so sorry that happened to you. They might eventually be able to recover it. My host had that happen in Nov. and everything was down for 2 weeks. When it finally came up it brought up my old site and I got after them to recover the updated website. It can happen if they persist and work at getting some things recovered. Do you have any of your photos saved on your own computer? That will help you alot. What I do now is print out my whole website and save everything I can. If this happens again which is a possibility then it will make it easier to redo the website. I wish you lots of luck..

This sounds like exactly what is happening to me.

Didn't you back up your website to your computer or a disk????:confused:

I started using sitebuilder and thought everything would be fine as it was being saved on their server and I really had no idea how to use FTP. Either way, they said that even if I have backed up my site I would not have been able to use it.

The site is still up but it won't let me edit it or anything like that. I just started taking new pics last night so I could update my site for the feature so the pics are not the problem. The hours and hours of HTML coding for my shopping cart is the issue at this point. Maybe I can take what is still up and view all of it in HTML and then copy everything so I have somehting to start from. I am seriously thinking about just having a site designed and starting over that way. It would look lots better.

The bad thing is,I had two copies of the site saved in site builder.

If you can still view each page, can't you View Page Source, then cut and paste the code into Notepad on your computer and save it?

Since you're using a site-builder, not sure if that would help or not, but maybe you could capture some parts that would be helpful???

Here's some of what's been crawled. Have your site crawled by an archiving site in full just in case this ever happens again. You can try google cache too if you know the page names. http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.southern-scents.com/

:)

Here's a Google cache of the pages. Right click on each link for page name, then enter to google and choose cache. Then save as complete web page in drop down to a folder. Might take a bit. I'll try and do it and see if I can get it all. http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:qIaBTFLr9G8J:www.southern-scents.com/+http://www.southern-scents.com/index.html&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

I have the whole site saved. Tell me where to email it. About 4 megs. From what I can see, works offline just fine so I got it all.

Oh with all the downloading I've been doing, see you might not need what I got. Oops. Wel I tried. LOL Let me know if you still want it for a backup. :)

The same thing has happened to me today :( my host'er man is emailing the server people now. Hope mine isn't all gone, although I was going to build a new one after christmas.

I was on TV just over a week ago and my picture/photo hurricanes were featured on tv again last night at a memorial service. Apparently some of the mums have expressed an interest in ordering some, just hope my site is back up soon, in case they want too.

Good luck with yours xx

I have the whole site saved. Tell me where to email it. About 4 megs. From what I can see, works offline just fine so I got it all.

Oh with all the downloading I've been doing, see you might not need what I got. Oops. Wel I tried. LOL Let me know if you still want it for a backup. :)

That was very nice of you, VIO, to jump right in and help!! :thumbsup:

Just trying to be helpful. For every one time someone has helped me here, would hope to be able to help others at least 1000 times to show my appreciation for being part of this community. I'd hope someone could do it for me as well if I needed it. :)

For what it's worth, when I click the links offline, it goes to paypal with price and all online, so this backup might still do the trick. Let me know where to email if you want to see what I got from cached. :)

Vio saved the day! You are at the top of my coolest persons list, and you didn't even do this for me. It is so rare for someone to go to that much trouble to help someone else, just for the sake of being nice. I hope Santa is very good to you!

Darbla

Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. Life is just too short to not help people when they need help, especially if it's something I can help with.

Thank you. :)

I just hope she got my email and isn't sitting somewhere all upset over this, sick over it. :(

Vio saved the day! You are at the top of my coolest persons list, and you didn't even do this for me. It is so rare for someone to go to that much trouble to help someone else, just for the sake of being nice. I hope Santa is very good to you!

Darbla

I totally agree!!!!! :D

Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. Life is just too short to not help people when they need help, especially if it's something I can help with.

Thank you. :)

I just hope she got my email and isn't sitting somewhere all upset over this, sick over it. :(

Thank you so so much for your help. That was super kind of you to go to all that trouble. I have a backup but unfortunatley they said that I won't be able to use it. I can however use the backup to steal the shopping cart coding and all of the product descriptions and the html for some of the basic things on my site. I still have not heard back from the hosting company. I think I scared them... I hate being rude but when I get mad, I get really mad. They keep acting like it is spilled milk when this is like a tanker full of acid being spilled in the middle of Times Square. I guess I need to start looking for someone to build a new site for me, I need someone who designs with a shopping cart and control panel. If you have any advice please let me know. Thanks again for all of your help guys and especially yours Vio.

BTW, Im a guy... Adam

Sorry Adam. I'm fairly new here. Please forgive my not realizing you were male. LOL Hope what I sent helps in some way. :)

Completly okay. Thanks again for your help. BTW, you have been posting like crazy!!!!!! near 300 in less than two months, way to go. I only have three hundred and I have been here for a year.

I like this place and I'm learning a lot here and really enjoying the crafting people do here and can't help but comment how pretty things look when I see people's works. Not trying to post a lot. Just like to interact is all. LOL ;)