My first soaps!

CatlinPM

These are some of my first soaps. I should specify that these aren't my first ones I have made about 5 batches before these but didn't feel they were pic worthy.

:tongue2:

CocoaSoap.jpg

Cocoa Butter Soap, Unscented

PumpkinSoap.jpg

Pumpkin Soap, with Pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice added

Scented with Backwoods Pumpkin Cornbread. I tried to swirl in the pot and this is what i got...

Coffee-Soap.jpg

Coffee Scrubby Soap with coffee used instead of water and ground coffee added. Scented with Backwoods Hazelnut Coffee

PeppermintSoap.jpg

Peppermint Soap, Scented with peaks Peppermint

This was my first time using select shades and I was going for red but that's ok, I like the way they came out anyway. That is crushed candy cane that you see on the top by the way.

BlueSugarSoap.jpg

Blue Sugar Soap scented with Backwoods Blue Sugar. I don't think I'm using the select shades right because this was supposed to be blue but obviously came out green. Hmmm... And I topped this one with turbinado sugar. I'm assuming the scented portion (the white portion) is going to discolor to brown?

GMsoap.jpg

And this is my latest batch, Goats milk, oatmeal and honey. I used the fresh meyenberg goats milk and added about 3/4 cup finely ground oatmeal and about 2tbsp honey. It's scented Peaks wild mountain honey.

If anyone has any tips for using select shades I would be grateful, I was using the chart but wasn't sure what the usage amounts meant which is probably why my colors came out funky. Is usage the total amount of colorant that you should use per lb of soap? Anyway, thanks for looking!

They all look very nice. Don't ya just love that pumpkin cornbread! That's been one of my favorites.

Wish I could help with tips for select shades. I use those, too, but have never colored a whole batch. I just put a bit of color in a measuring cup and mix in some soap with it. I pretty much go by the instructions I got on this forum in the cp tutorial.

Well you could start with the SS chart's recommendation that it gives for 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp etc. So you could add 1/4 of all the colors for the color you're going for. If you aren't coloring a full batch, I'd stick with the lower end.

Now the part that they use is just that ... a part. You may decide that the first part is 5 drops, so if it says 1 aquamarine (5 drops) 2 electric kiwi (10 drops) ... does that help?

Adding ... dunno which colors on the SS chart you are going for and there is a chart for recipes with a lot of olive oil and one for not so much.

Well you could start with the SS chart's recommendation that it gives for 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp etc. So you could add 1/4 of all the colors for the color you're going for. If you aren't coloring a full batch, I'd stick with the lower end.

Now the part that they use is just that ... a part. You may decide that the first part is 5 drops, so if it says 1 aquamarine (5 drops) 2 electric kiwi (10 drops) ... does that help?

Adding ... dunno which colors on the SS chart you are going for and there is a chart for recipes with a lot of olive oil and one for not so much.

I understand how to use the parts but as an example, with the blue sugar I was trying to go for the darkest shade of deep ocean for CPSOAP. It calls for 1 purple velvet, 1/2 aquamarine, and 1 marmalade. I understand that I could do 1/2 tsp purple velvet, 1/4 tsp aquamarine, and 1/2 tsp marmalade if I chose 1/2 tsp as my part. What I was confused about is the usage recommendation for the shade you are going for on the chart. The deepest shade of deep ocean suggests a usage rate of 1tsp per lb of soap. Is that what you should use as your part for this shade? So I should use 1tsp purple velvet, 1/2tsp aquamarine, and 1tsp marmalade to achieve this color? I think I got confused because i read somewhere that you shouldn't exceed 1tsp of colorant per lb of soap or it would color your lather. That and I'm overthinking this... I used 1/2 tsp purple velvet 1/4tsp aquamarine and 1/2 tsp marmalade and it still turned green. Maybe it's my recipe? There's no olive oil in there though. Oh well, I guess I should probably do a color test beforehand in the future :smiley2:.

Well with SS I haven't gotten a colored sudsing yet. To me it depends on how much of your batter you're going to color. If you're going for the whole batch, then I'd use it be the pound. If not, I would go to a weaker/lighter one. Unfortunately it's a bunch of playing around to get what you want and in my case, never dupe it again. So I went to doing drops instead of using the spoons.

Well with SS I haven't gotten a colored sudsing yet. To me it depends on how much of your batter you're going to color. If you're going for the whole batch, then I'd use it be the pound. If not, I would go to a weaker/lighter one. Unfortunately it's a bunch of playing around to get what you want and in my case, never dupe it again. So I went to doing drops instead of using the spoons.

That sounds like a good idea. I use liquid dye when I make candles and I do it that way too. I kinda figured there was going to be alot of testing involved in making soap! That's what I look forward too!