Essential Oils

I think this was discussed on the other board a few times. If I remember, they don't do as well in soy as the FO's. I think if Vicky or Robin pops in, or someone else that has actually tried them, maybe they could give a little more insite.

I have used mainly EOs in NV soy. I am testing all the time, and have had success with frankincence, lavender, peppermint, patchouli, and a blend of Ylang Ylang-Patchouli-Frankincense-Clary Sage-Orange-Thyme, the latter of which I just poured and am waiting to light. I have tried mandarin, orange, and lemon with no success - seems the citruses to be too oily and heavy for the soy - they separate. I also have no success with Vanilla Planifolia (I have a question on a previous thread) - I wanted to know if there was a natural vanilla that would blend. As far as how much EO to use, this also varies - some to a large extent eg. peppermint. So far, I have noticed usage of EO is about 18ml to 21ml per 500 gm of wax (and this is dependent on the oil esp peppermint)- soz I am in OZ ounces and pounds went out in the 60's and I cant remember the conversion.

MOMMY2XP - I have seen somewhere, a blend of lav EO and vanilla FO - I think it was in a soap base recipe - I wouldnt do it in case of rashes etc - maybe it was for laundry soap.

I am only very new to candles, so my information is only based on my trials of the past 4 weeks or so. And to boot, I have only used the NV soy as the major part of my "experiments".

I would appreciate if this has been discussed before, if someone could kindly point me to where I should look, as I am only new to this discussion board and cant drive it properly yet.

Thanks again.

I have used mainly EOs in NV soy. I am testing all the time, and have had success with frankincence, lavender, peppermint, patchouli, and a blend of Ylang Ylang-Patchouli-Frankincense-Clary Sage-Orange-Thyme, the latter of which I just poured and am waiting to light. I have tried mandarin, orange, and lemon with no success - seems the citruses to be too oily and heavy for the soy - they separate. I also have no success with Vanilla Planifolia (I have a question on a previous thread) - I wanted to know if there was a natural vanilla that would blend. As far as how much EO to use, this also varies - some to a large extent eg. peppermint. So far, I have noticed usage of EO is about 18ml to 21ml per 500 gm of wax (and this is dependent on the oil esp peppermint)- soz I am in OZ ounces and pounds went out in the 60's and I cant remember the conversion.

MOMMY2XP - I have seen somewhere, a blend of lav EO and vanilla FO - I think it was in a soap base recipe - I wouldnt do it in case of rashes etc - maybe it was for laundry soap.

I am only very new to candles, so my information is only based on my trials of the past 4 weeks or so. And to boot, I have only used the NV soy as the major part of my "experiments".

I would appreciate if this has been discussed before, if someone could kindly point me to where I should look, as I am only new to this discussion board and cant drive it properly yet.

Thanks again.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1105333782;start=1 -- sorry, I'm not a big fan of EOs in candles - but if it works for you ;) We can't edit posts on the old board (for some reason I rarely could), but palm wax I have since found out has very little processing - so I would guess its about a step up from bayberry/unrefined BW).

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Discussions;action=display;num=1109784019;start=2 -- pointer to lots of other links in this post.

I've used them in a soy blend, and I mix EOs/FOs in paraffin now. I found if I use them at the same level of FOs, eventually they turn kind of sour and stinky.

And it's really hit or miss - especially with lavenders. So far I mix lavender EO w/ Peak's lavender FO, and I've got a lemongrass/litsea/ginger blend that's "OK", but kind of sharp.

Mints can give you a fuel smell. I never had much luck with spearmint or peppermint, but in blends they work OK. Patch as usual can take a larger wick.

I'd start off somewhere around .5 oz per pound of wax. And yes, you can mix EOs and FOs safely. It's actually kind of nice - the EOs can give a fragrance oil a bit of a kick. Or an FO can give a EO a bit of a sweet edge.

Thank you for your input everyone.

I am now concerned about combustibility of EO's in wax. I will take temp of the molten wax at full pool while it is burning.

I am by no means a scientist, and do not have a PHD in anything, all this is a learning curve so thanks again.

All mums should be given a PHD!

I just made a container soy candle with lavender EO. I have been burning it for many hours now and have not smelled it at all. I've made lavender pillars that had a stronger smell than this container which seems weird to me. I have never had any problems with them being combustible. I just assumed they would be used at the same amount as FO.

And I have mixed them in my CP soaps. I really like the effects. Sometimes I do a (EO) Lavender/Rose mix. It is far too expensive to use EO rose. :)