just out of curiosity...

What do you all do with your test candles? I have about 30 half burned candles around my house. I have given some away to family unless they don't burn well, in which case I melt them down and reuse the container. I can't possibly burn all of these...I would light the house on fire!

What do you do with yours?

I always test until the end. Oh then I test the same combo again just to be sure. Then I test again. No I am just kidding. I do test some things twice if I am not 100% sure I liked the way it burned the first time.

Yep burn them till they are gone..you have no idea what will happen when it gets to the bottom 1/2 inch and people don't stop..they burn sometimes till it goes out itself..need to make sure it does not catch fire, explode etc...and the wick goes out on it's own.

Since I'm still trying to figure out wicking, I've been burning one tester the right way then a 2nd doing marathon burns. Burn both to the very end. I've found nasty things can happen in that last inch of burn. But I've only been playing with wicks for 6 months. Sure wish wickless candles would catch on more out here. Then life would be so much easier.

If it's obvious to me that I've used the wrong wick (way too hot, or dying out) I have a tendency to just throw them away. If it's burning great I burn it to the end, or at least close enough that I know there won't be any changes.

When I get sick of a certain scent, but need to finish burning it, I put it in the bathroom, or in the basement and let it finish. Since my workroom is in the basement I can see/watch what they're doing.

I know it's hard to throw them away if they've failed, but go ahead. At least you won't have 15 containers that you know you won't burn sitting around taking up space! (some people remelt the wax and repour; I usually make batches and use 4 or 5 different sized wicks, so I throw away the ones that failed and keep burning the ones that are doing okay).

DanaE

I let my test candles burn to the end too. Deanna, you may also have a few old test candles with a certain wax or wax combo that you have decided against that have a nice enough scent throw but does not have good burning qualities for your situation/liking or whatever else. For these, I dig out the wax and keep it. I have a friend that I give the scented wax to and she uses it in her melters. I will never use it in my melters, because I have to burn so many candles right now for testing. :)

If they are burning correctly, I burn to the end.....the last three I started testing were all made with different formulas....they are burning the same????? I am also burning them as if I don't know how to burn candles, you know, the way many people do.....I love it when I TRY to wreck a candle and it still burns fine. Now for today.....I am going to burn some that I am expecting won't burn properly because I goofed and tried to correct...so I will have to burn to the end. I re melted about 20 pounds of wax and added some additives to hopefully correct the problem....but one never knows...so I poured it into large containers to cool and will only remelt and use if the 3 test candles burn ok. I have bought candles from well known candle companies, (very well known) and they don't burn properly.....I don't understand how they stay in business and I don't mean Yankee....an expensive "natural" candle company.