CBL 129 users...help???

Hi all...I have been playing on and off with this wax for several months. Got wicking down and the scent throw is GREAT, but for the life of me I just can't get a flat top. Any secrets that anyone is willing to share?? I have tried doing two repours and still and uneven top. Tried at a bunch of different temps, but all on the cool side thinking that would minimize shrinkage. recently read a post (by Top, I think) that pouring hotter in small jars sometimes produces a flatter top. Gonna give it a whirl, can't lose at this point!

But any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

TIA!

Jenn

If that is the container wax that is the wax I started out using it and loved it until about my last 2 orders of it. That was probably about 3 years ago though, but I could not get a flat top, it was ripply looking. When I called them they always said it was my fault, which I wasn't doing anything differently. After reading about one of the additives, don't remember which one, could have been vybar maybe, said if used to much you would get that effect ripply look. So after the last order I gave up on it and went to IGI.

If that is the container wax that is the wax I started out using it and loved it until about my last 2 orders of it. That was probably about 3 years ago though, but I could not get a flat top, it was ripply looking. When I called them they always said it was my fault, which I wasn't doing anything differently. After reading about one of the additives, don't remember which one, could have been vybar maybe, said if used to much you would get that effect ripply look. So after the last order I gave up on it and went to IGI.

Hey grama, you weren't alone in this fight with Candlewic. They had me sending them votives from new and old batches because they wanted to put the blame on me too. Even had my DH go dumpster diving to get the batch number off the old and new boxes of wax. I'd used this wax long enough that I knew there was something real wrong with the wax, and it wasn't my fault. After another gal (who bought pallets from them) finally got them to admit they made a mistake and added to much vybar to the wax, that I was finally able to do my best to fix it. I didn't have a lot of problems after that, but with their high shipping to me I've moved on to another wax (and the demand from customers for soy). I did love the 129, and I do miss it, so easy to wick, good throw and colored so easily. I had problems with a flat top too, then I finally accepted it just like others do with wet spots. Customers didn't seem to care, since they burned them soon as they got them anyway :laugh2:

I loved the wax gerrie - what was so great about it you could actually make the votives with the container wax. At that time that is what I was doing the most of. That is the 1 thing I miss. If a customer orders a container and then wants a couple votives in same scent you have to fire up the pillar wax now:D

All I could find doing a quick look on Candlewic their general instructions say heat to 200, at 190 add dye and fo and let cool to pouring temp, don't know where their pouring temp is though. Maybe someone else that uses it can tell you.

I pour my 4786 at 180-185.

All I could find doing a quick look on Candlewic their general instructions say heat to 200, at 190 add dye and fo and let cool to pouring temp, don't know where their pouring temp is though. Maybe someone else that uses it can tell you.

I pour my 4786 at 180-185.

I know...that would be helpful info, huh?

Grama, what temp do you do your repour on the 4786...190?

Pour HOT (190-200), but honestly, if you have a batch with too much vybar....your only saving grace is the heat gun. Burns me to get the heat gun out, but it's the only way to get a smooth top.

I LOVE this wax and have used it for years, tried others, but always go back to the CBL.

I often thought about adding soy to the CBL, but have never wanted to retest everything plus I thought I would lose the fabulous scent throw this wax produces.

CBL-129 should be heated initially to 190° - 200°F.

To top off you want to get close to those temperatures.

The key with this wax is to pour hot. When I used this wax, I heated to 200°F.

Can't see how a formulation issue that occurred several years ago and was corrected could be relevant to your outcome now?

Of course should your problems persist despite following the hot guidelines, definitely give Candlewic (Ellen or Bill Binder) a call.

Since I don't use it any longer I can't really give you any advice as to how it's acting at this time. But Bill did tell us when there was to much vybar added to the wax, that adding mineral oil would be helpful. That wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I had a bunch of the 129 that needed to be used to I started adding joy wax to it........at least I was able to get through the few cases I had. Not sure if that's the problem right now or not. And yes, you do have to pour hot, my instructions say to heat to 190, add color, cool to 185, add scent and pour. Many times I heated past the 190 point, but I always tried to pour around 185.

And yes grama, that was a great thing about the 129. I did everything except pillars with it.....votives, containers, tarts and tealights. If I lived closer to PA I'd definitely still be using it for my tealights, tarts and votives.

I ordered a 1-lb sample of CBL-129, smooth top on 2nd pour, threw great. I then ordered a case April 2006. I used same FO, same %, heated and poured at same temp. After 2nd pour the top looked like a souffle'. I think I'll just use my Pumpkin Souffle' and cobbler scents in this wax and tell the customers it's supposed to look this way. (LOL) . This might work except that the scent throw is not nearly as good. Too much vybar must be binding up the FO. If this was a problem they had and resolved years ago, then I wonder why I got a case of it in April '06? Anyway, I just put this case aside and still haven't taken the time to try to salvage it yet. I wonder if I could add some 1288-B wax, maybe some stearic. This would decrease the overall percentage of vybar and maybe release or "loosen up" the FO. It would at least probably make for smoother tops. Could this work? I'll give it a try when I find the time to play with it. If I figure it out, I'll post my results. If my customers like the souffle' look, I'll let you know.(just kidding...... or am I???)