Rustic vs smooth

I love the look of all the rustic candles in the gallery, but do they sell well?

I went around my office with a picture of a rustic candle and the response was leaning more towards the smooth candles.

So in my quest to make candles for a craft fair at the office i've been making smooth for that reason.

Should i only make smooth candles or make some rustics as well??

I make and sell rustics and they are very popular. I have made some lovely smooth red pillars for Christmas, but my oh my, get a scratch on it, or fingerprints and what a hassle to remove them. I have tried the nylon stocking trick to buff them up, but they do not remain shiny doing that and get a stray piece of wax on it and then buff that and well I may as well chuck it back in the pot. So how do you keep your smooth looking pillars looking good? Oh, and in answer to your question - I do not think a picture can do justice to a rustic, make a few and I am sure there will be someone who will like them.

I have made some lovely smooth red pillars for Christmas, but my oh my, get a scratch on it, or fingerprints and what a hassle to remove them.

I found that shrink wrapping each pillar helps a LOT with the dings and stuff... won't protect from everything, but it does help with fingernail dings and minor abrasions.

I don't know what it is, but the inside of my hoodie or the tail of my tee shirt seem to polish better than anything on our palm wax pillars. One has to be wearing it, though, for the magic to work! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I found that shrink wrapping each pillar helps a LOT with the dings and stuff... won't protect from everything, but it does help with fingernail dings and minor abrasions.

:laugh2:

This was going to be my next question, storing votives and pillars...I've got them in ziplock bags, and the newest ones look fine it's the one's that i've moved around they've got knicks and such.

I'm still going to sell them (call them the learning hand made look) but i want the ones they will potentially order looking better.

I agree with Stella - I always shrink wrap pillars & votives. There is a spray called Candle Luster that I spray my pillars with before I shrink wrap them. You just put a very light "coat" on the pillar and it keeps fingerprints from showing and gives the pillar a very nice smooth finish to it - with a little luster, takes away the sorta dull look you can get.