something other than poppy seeds

Jo Ann

are there other seeds to use for scrubbies than poppy seeds. with the new drug test they can pick up ingestion of a few poppy seeds. have been told if one wants to pass a drug test then quit eating poppy seeds. and i am a bit paronoid. i am not crazy about the jojoba bead, and I do have some micro beads, but would rather not use them in my soap.

I think if you look at the Brambleberry website you will find a bunch...

Grape seeds, raspberry seeds, -- all different kinds. The raspberry seeds might be ok, but most of the others seem too big for my taste.

I have a national brand in my shower that uses kiwi seeds and loofah fibers.

When I use oatmeal - or any larger dried herb for instance, I put some in a glass bowl and take a small shot glass or something similar and try to munch it up and reduce it's size. You can also use your blender they say, but that's a pia to pull mine out of the cupboard for.

And just for the record, if you are a druggie... and you are failing your tests... cutting out the poppy seeds in your munchie induced muffin feast will not help you pass your test. :wink2:

no i am a nurse, and poppy seeds from muffins and bagels have been showing up in the tests and there is no real rules about drug levels from poppy seeds, so you can be fired and lose you liscense. at our place, they quit buying poppy seed bagels for monday mornings bagel day.

no i am a nurse, and poppy seeds from muffins and bagels have been showing up in the tests and there is no real rules about drug levels from poppy seeds, so you can be fired and lose you liscense. at our place, they quit buying poppy seed bagels for monday mornings bagel day.

Bummer! Love poppy seeds in bagel and soap, LOL. If you have a food processor, toss some oatmeal in. Otherwise, you can use coffee grinds, I prefer used, or cornmeal for a few suggestions. Many of the seeds are way too scratchy. You can use the shot glass as suggested or a mortar and pestle to grind them.

e

funny thing eugenia, the nurses gripped about the no poppy seed bagel policy until one monday evening there was a random drug test on one of the floors, needless to say everyone passed and no more complaints about poppyless mondays. LOL

I personally find even poppy seeds to be too scratchy in the soap, so i add things like powdered peppermint leaves, powdered calendula petals. with the oats, i just buzz them in the coffee grinder and add as a oat flour. it adds just a touch of grip to the soap, but not enough to scratch.

I wouldn't think that putting poppy seeds in soap would affect a drug test. I'm a nurse as well and have a stash of poppy seeds that I plan to use in soap.

I did add some ground apricot seeds to a batch I made recently and they are not scratchy at all. They came as a free sample from Brambleberry I think and they are ground pretty fine.

I did add some ground apricot seeds to a batch I made recently and they are not scratchy at all. They came as a free sample from Brambleberry I think and they are ground pretty fine.

great...will try what i have...i live small scrubbies in my soap!

How much did you use per lb. I bought some, but thought it would have been too scratchy.

I LOVE a great scrubby bar for my skin! I've used groud Apricot from OT in M & P base and LOVED it!! But then, I do some pretty nasty chores here like cleaning out wood burner chimneys and stove pipes. Kriosote does NOT come off you hands unless you REALLY scrub hard and it smells too!. I made the soap with a great deal of Apricot scrub it and the Kriosote comes off my hands, arms and face very easily. I use it on my whole body and I love it! I also use oatmeal scrubby and I love that too! Full oats as well!

I never knew about poppy seeds. Interesting.

Fire

Fire

great for the apricot seed and oatmeal, i use the stone ground oatmeal as an additive in my breads and was hoping they would work in soap too.

as for poppy seeds, the test are much better at picking drugs up, so no poppy seeks for me. LOL

thanx ruby. the oatmeal i have looks really coarse but its not has hard as it looks. will give that a try. my next batch is gonna have lavender buds, with bulgarian lavender eo, goats milk, aloe vera, and no scrubbies. it will be for xmas.

Keep in mind that things like Lavender buds will look nice for a day or two and then go BROWN in the soap. It will make it look like mice turds!:Werd: . Do a search on the soap section of these boards. It's not very attrctive IN the soap but fine on the finished bar tops. However, those too will go brown, just not as quickly.

Also consider that the Lavender buds will have to be cleaned off of you shower floor or out of your bath tub.:tiptoe:

There are better things to put in your soap but you need to research it. Go to some of the supplier sites and have a look through their exfoliants section. Also, read up on it at the miller soap site.

There are lots of options but YOU need to study them! Start with places like Oregon Trail and Southern Soapers. There really is a wealth of info out there but you need to go find like I did!

Fire

read about some recipes that used them and it seemed ok...but will exclude them. don't want things that look like mouse doodoo in my bars.

thanx for that information.

Keep in mind that things like Lavender buds will look nice for a day or two and then go BROWN in the soap. It will make it look like mice turds!:Werd: . Do a search on the soap section of these boards. It's not very attrctive IN the soap but fine on the finished bar tops. However, those too will go brown, just not as quickly.

Also consider that the Lavender buds will have to be cleaned off of you shower floor or out of your bath tub.:tiptoe:

There are better things to put in your soap but you need to research it. Go to some of the supplier sites and have a look through their exfoliants section. Also, read up on it at the miller soap site.

There are lots of options but YOU need to study them! Start with places like Oregon Trail and Southern Soapers. There really is a wealth of info out there but you need to go find like I did!

Fire

Too funny about poppy seeds in soap making you fail a drug test!! Hope you are not eating the soap!! Have you ever researched this? I can not imagine not ingesting it and having it still make you fail a test!

I buy oat flour which is ground oats-oatmeal preground-could not ask for more--right?

also have pumice-but honestly every time I intend to put the pumice in the soap-i get way past that step and pour and put away and THEN remember!!!

I buy oat flour which is ground oats-oatmeal preground-could not ask for more--right?

also have pumice-but honestly every time I intend to put the pumice in the soap-i get way past that step and pour and put away and THEN remember!!!

omg never say you are over 50!!!!!! cuz, so far, my experience has been............what the heck was i gonna say?! sheese

unfortunately-am still on younger end of 30!

I did make a soap this evening and I put the pumice in it-I left it on counter right next to the FO!!

can't wait to unveil tomorrow!!

by the way-my understanding to fail a drug test from eating poppy seeds-you would have to eat almost a solid poppy seed bagel!

that would be gritty-but just my understanding-i do not have a lot of experience in drug tests!!!

except a pool hall I worked at years ago took hair samples-they were serious and do not think you could blame a positive on poppy seed bagels!!

LMAO!!