lye locally in AZ

CatlinPM

I've called around to a couple of places here in arizona (the phoenix area) and so far haven't found anybody who sells lye in amounts smaller than 50lbs. Does anybody know where I can buy lye here in smaller amounts? I'm going to keep looking but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

wish I could buy lye in any amount

seems it is illegal for people in CA (or at the least los angeles) to sell it

so I can't get it anywhere except mail order

if you have to mail order some bittercreek.com has it in 2lb cans

that is where I get mine(almost time for me to order again)

Ok, I went and bought some at Lowe's just because I really really want to make soap and I don't want to wait for shipping right now. It was $7.60 per 2lb bottle, (ok actually my mom bought it because she works at Lowe's and gets a discount :D ). I knew about Snowdrift Farm but was trying not to have to pay shipping. The other places I called which were all chemical companies in the yellow pages all either had to have the lye shipped to them after I ordered (which I would have to pay for) or I would have to buy 50 lbs of it. Oh, well, at least I have my lye! Thank you all for your responses!!

it runs about 3 bucks a pound at my brother's store. its the only place in the area to get it. turns out meth is not as big in this area as I thought, gee, turns out its more heroin. LA is a huge meth area. my estranged d-i-l lives there and keeps drying out. hoping someday she will stayed dried out. i miss her old self. oh well.

Ok, I went and bought some at Lowe's just because I really really want to make soap and I don't want to wait for shipping right now. It was $7.60 per 2lb bottle, (ok actually my mom bought it because she works at Lowe's and gets a discount :D ). I knew about Snowdrift Farm but was trying not to have to pay shipping. The other places I called which were all chemical companies in the yellow pages all either had to have the lye shipped to them after I ordered (which I would have to pay for) or I would have to buy 50 lbs of it. Oh, well, at least I have my lye! Thank you all for your responses!!

I thought 50lbs would be this enormous bag of lye. It is really only about the size of a bag of cat litter. You should consider buying it in bulk. It's much cheaper. I even like the lye I bought from the chemical company better. I feel like it doesn't smell as strong when mixing.

When I actually get rolling in the soap making, and have several molds to work with, I will buy lye in bulk. (50lbs) What is the best way for storing that much lye. I don't have a garage. Right now I have threee two pound jars stored in a Rubbermade tote in my basement, which is where I'll be making my soap.

Fire