Herbs to go with tomato?

GrandmaArial

I want to make tomato soap. I think the lycopene will be a great addition to the soap but I’m coming up blank on what herbs to scent it with. I don’t want it coming out smelling like marinara sauce but all I keep coming up with is basil and oregano. And no, I am not going to add garlic to my soap either (although it might be a good anti fungal soap worthy of consideration in the future).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

The raspberry with tomato sounds good, my grandmother made a raspberry tomato relish that was wonderful but I’m shy of using fruit FOs as I tend to react badly to them. I did try some cherry FO to make cherry cordial soap… gave me an awful migraine (no, I do not use that soap, LOL). Also the tomato leaf… I may have to order some and give it a try. That would be a great marketing thing… but I think the rosemary and lemongrass is what I’m looking for. I use very very little FO in my soaps, and then only a few drops to accent the herbs I use and mostly florals so I have few FOs on hand. I am thinking maybe rosemary with a little honeysuckl... but my mind still wants to go to basil… there’s something about tomato and basil… LOL. Maybe just a tiny pinch… we will see what my impulses do when I go to start the oil…

Phone rang and I come back and Meredith has the same basic idea. What do you think… will some honeysuckle oil finish it? Or will it be overdoing it?

Hhhm. I love honeysuckle, but the thought of it and tomato together just make me shudder. Could be wonderful, but I'd have to smell it to be convinced.

The rosemary sounds good. even lime or cilantro (I'm in a salsa mood, can you tell?!?) I think the basil would be wonderful -- clean and crisp, not like marinara, unless you're going to put garlic in there, too. ;)

I greatly doubt the tomato will leave any scent in the tomato, just some color (peach but the pictures I've looked at) so I dont think its going to conflict with floral. But as I sit here and think about it... my honeysuckle bushes are next to my husbands tomato patch and summer days... it's a wonderful place to just sit and breath...

Hmmm… lime with honeysuckle… may have something there… I’ll have to check and see if I have any lime rind left… I think I used it up on the last batch of jade soap and haven’t dried any more yet (sorry, I’ve been lazy). If not lemon should work, maybe even a combo of lemon and sweet orange. Still need the rosemary and basil though. That should give it a nice balance of layers… the top will be sharp and fresh… the middle sweet and inviting, the basil and rosemary will give the bottom notes warmth. It will smell like meeting up with an old friend feels. And every item on the list is good for the skin! Double bonus!

Can't say what it will smell like, but I want to say 'mint'. Mint is often planted along with gardens to ward off creatures of all kinds and it's good for itchy skin, it's bright and uplifting and usually works well with anything herbal. Maybe Eucalyptus instead if you don't have or like spearmint or peppermint.

I would also think that something sugary sweet- but real sugar not general bakery type sweet. My mom used to eat stewed tomatoes and sugar on toast. It was disgusting to look at, and i'd never eat it, lol... but from what I remember she impressed upon me that it was a very common thing to eat when she was growing up. Hmm.. that makes me think of adding a bread type FO. But i'm not a foody type FO person. Don't really want to shower with a foccacia bread, but some do, lol.

but from what I remember she impressed upon me that it was a very common thing to eat when she was growing up.

Your mom sounds like mine...when you grow up poor...almost anything becomes a banquet! Sometimes we don't realize how lucky we really are!

I have used KY's Raspberry Tomato Leaf in both candles and soap (as a kitchen bar) with very good results. Reminds me a little bit of the scent of marigolds.

Basil or rosemary and I don't think it will smell like tomato sauce! You can also try lemon and black pepper...or any citrus with tomato if you add just a little. I think if it smells like food...it would be great! I just keep getting fatter...poured Hansel & Gretel's house candles today and had to go get a Snickerdoodle cookie from Quiznos!

I already have the oil infusing. Rosemary, basil, lemon and orange peal, and I will add a few drops of honeysuckle. The pepper might be a good addition… but for this batch I don’t want to put to many components is until I see how these work together. And I love mint, peppermint, spearmint, wild mint…but I don’t think it would give me what I’m looking for this time. Peppermint is a cool scent. I want this to be warm. Thank you all for your input.

I am always surprised at the apparent popularity of food scented soap. I did make a cherry cordial soap that everyone seems to like, but never ask for twice. I haven’t used it, well, not for a bath. I have tested it on my hands. As a novelty it’s interesting. My in-laws will be getting some candy soap for Christmas… The idea of bathing with candy (or marinara sauce) just doesn’t do it for me. It does bring some interesting thoughts though… what about pizza soap? My husband just might like it.

Oh- talking about husband. He found some coast soap he bought about a year ago (before I started making CP) and decided to not waste it. He told me today that he’s noticed that his skin is a lot dryer and the little scratches and scrapes he’s always getting aren’t healing as fast and feel more irritated than when he uses the soap I make for him. Wasn’t that nice?

Tomato soap is nothing new. “Burt’s Bees” makes some that is apparently very popular. It is also recommended on many soaping sites as a “natural” colorant, though you won’t get the deep red but more a soft peach color from the pictures I’ve seen. I am drawn to it, though, for the lycopene. I don’t know how much of it will survive saponification… but figure it’s worth a try. What’s the worst that can happen? I toss $20 worth of oils out… not been the first time that’s happened. I would love to be able to say all of my experiments have been successful, but that would be lying. However in this case at the very least I will have the benefits of the herbs.