making Silicone molds

We use polyurethane rubbers they are a bit cheaper than silicone but have excellent detail and the 1 to 1 mix ratio is easy to use. It can be messy if you are not careful but is a very simple process.

Make sure you invest in mold releasa as the rubbers can bind to certain things. Use a CLEAN candle pouring pot to mix your mold material in. i say clean as stearic acid WILL affect the curing of the rubber. When you pour make sure there is at least half an inch or liquid material around your item you are casting. This allow air bubble to move to the edge of your rubber mold.

Use a wooden paintstick to stir. When its time to clean up toss the stick away. Wait till the excess rubber hardens in your candle pot then peel it away from the pot and discard. Do not try to clean up liquid rubber. Trust me it makes a bigger mess....lol.

I've made many molds out of polyurethane and would be happy to offer advice just pm me and i will get back as soon as i can.

It really isn't that hard to do. Just follow directions, and make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you start. I've used this type several times with good results, and another brand that I can't think of right now.

http://www.smoothon.com/candle.htm

The only problem I ran into was the object I was trying to duplicate floated. So make sure you glue or secure with double face tape your object down in your container. Make sure you know how much silicone you'll need to fill your container. The stuff is expensive and you don't want to waste it. I had made to much for my pour once, and I was running around trying to find something else to make a mold of when. On the other hand, make sure you have enough, you don't want to run short. I just always tried to make sure I had somehting else I could pour a mold of if I had to much. Good luck.