Test burning candles

So what is everyone's routines for test burning candles? When you make a candle do you make a votive on the side to burn, or do you make a full sized candle? Any tips or tricks to it? Right now I am bruning my mottled/christmas tree 8 oz candle. So far so good. Good smell. But there are oil beads on the top of the candle. I am assuming from too much FO?

I really need to get me a book. *rolls eyes* .

So if you make a 20 oz. candle you burn a 20 oz. candle? So basically for every formula I use, I should make a "side" candle to test burn.

What causes the oil beads on the top of the candle?

Sparkette,

If you want to make 20 oz. candles, then you need to test the 20 oz candle with that specific wax, dye, FO, and container if you are using them. And yes, you need to make sure you burn it all the way to the bottom. Candles sometimes burn differently at the bottom then they do at the top. As for you making a side candle, if you are using a votive to test the scent, wax and wick combo, then it won't hold true for your 20 oz. For every scent and every color and every container you need to test.

As for the oil beads on the top of the candle, it sounds like there is too much FO, but that may not hold true, depending on what wax you are using and depending on what additives you may need to add.

I know it will get frustrating at times, but this is why it takes years to be able to get to the point of possibly selling candles. There are alot of variables that need to be taken into consideration.

HTH,

Shari

I am new to candle making also, but, I have read everything on here two and three times. I agree and have done test burns with all of my votives and containers. It is a must because as all of these nice people :D say everything burns differently. For each batch that I make, I have a log of everything I put in and how much I used, including dye and even the wicks. It is a very long process, but, well worth it. I wish you luck

When you make a candle do you make a votive on the side to burn, or do you make a full sized candle?

Make the test candle first and burn that from top to bottom..if it's good, then you pour the 'real' candle.

I do mainly paraffin pillars but here is an example of why you must test burn the exact candle that you plan on selling:

Made a 6" pillar with a certain wick - it burned beautifully till it got down 3-4" then the wick started to clog up from the heavy FO and wouldn't keep a decent flame. Had I made just a little candle and called it good, the customer would have been really disappointed when their candle only burned halfway and crapped out. The same holds true with containers - sometimes they burn really nice on the top part of the jar but not in the lower part so something has to be adjusted, i.e. the wick, the FO load.

Trust us when we say there are no shortcuts when it comes to testing.

I am new to candle making also, but, I have read everything on here two and three times. I agree and have done test burns with all of my votives and containers. It is a must because as all of these nice people :D say everything burns differently. For each batch that I make, I have a log of everything I put in and how much I used, including dye and even the wicks. It is a very long process, but, well worth it. I wish you luck

To me this is a big help, keeping a log. I started out using pieces of paper, would lose the paper and have to start all over and that sucks! lol. Everyone probably logs differently, but once I get a "recipe" down I have a spiral 3 x 5 notebook that I keep in my workbench drawer.

About half way down the right side is a candle test sheet you might find handy...http://www.candlecauldron.com/ it also has many other helpful forms there as well.

You all have been so great and your advice is helping a lot. There is so much I have learned here in the last two days that I would not have found anywhere else.

Just last night I read somewhere that FO is measured by ounces of weight, not volume. That's maybe one of my reasons my candles weren't right. Starting over again this morning.

I am on a injury leave from work, so at least I have some time to do candles.

I test burn all mine myself now. In fact theres regularly a dozen testing each day in my house, but then I stay at home to care for my kids so I have the time.

I did used to ask relatives to test them for me, but once, my dad tested a votive. He brought it back, completely tunneled down the middle. When asking him how long he burnt it for, his reply was, ooh from about 7pm last night, not sure what time it went out, but was like that when I woke up in the morning!! jeez, wonder he's still here...

Now I prefer to test my own.

Do you all have people who burn your candles for you on test burns or do you do them yourself?

I do the initial testing myself....then I give to some friends that are negative about most anything (lol) to get their opinion on scent throw. I test for scent throw and how it burns...once I get the wicking down for the combo and feel it is a good throw....I let someone else test it for a review.

As everyone has said, it is important to test each candle for each identical batch. Logs are Key! so so helpful! Even take a picture of the candle for each batch to keep with log. If you are running a business or make a lot of candles this makes it easy and keeps you organized. :wink2: