Coconut Blend Wax (???)

Yup, the one I use is the Crystal Brite Palm Wax 5801. I buy from SwanS candles up north of me so I don't have to pay the shipping. I also use their Coconut Blend wax, as stated before. I really like that wax and was wondering if anyone had any tips on using it.

I sure do wanna try some of that coconut blend. I am afraid, though, that I will like it and I simply can't afford to buy wax in marketable quantities from a west-coast supplier. HOPEFULLY, the company that supplies Swan's will find an east coast supplier in the near future. Until then, I will just have to read about it and try not to be envious!:D

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't like the coconut wax.. but I have never had any success with getting a decent burn pool in Accublend waxes. I called the company and they suggested using CD wicks with their wax... but I could never balance the flame height and burn pool... I really like the idea of the coconut wax (and I love the crisp whiteness of the wax - but I can't wick it to save the life of me (I have tried both 2.75" containers with CD 7 & 8 and couldn't burn it across.)

Any one else have any ideas or luck with Accublend?

Wicking is a major issue with this wax! I would rank it more difficult than soy and palm. JMO here...it's nice but not so much so that I would rate it higher than soy. Nothing that makes it superior in any way. I can get soy cheaper and from suppliers and the shipping would not be as costly. Like any "natural" product there can be inconsistencies from batch to batch with the wax. So I am going to stick with the wax I use since I am already familiar with it and how to manage any problems I occasionally encounter.

Sparkette,

Please post whether you like this wax or not. Swans' just opened a 2nd store in So El Monte, CA right at the Accu-Blend plant and I can drive there...trying to wait until after the 1st of the year. I'm really interested in the olive oil/soy blend, but was planning to also try the coconut/soy blend,

I forgot to mention in my post that the Olive Oil wax has an odor that is not pleasant and I find difficult to mask. Maybe the coconut wax would be of better use in some B&B formulas. I'll have to look into that. Since these are new waxes I bet a lot of people will try it just because it is new and different. I find it interesting to read the comments that appear right way when there is a new wax. In the begining it's the best thing since slice bread(much like what was seen with the GG). Then 3-6 months later all of the problem post appear. I am keeping a bit of the coconut wax I have left and I might consider comparing my current results with a future batch. If there is going to be a lot of inconsistencies it's not worth the hassle of starting all over with a new wax.

I forgot to mention in my post that the Olive Oil wax has an odor that is not pleasant and I find difficult to mask.

Is the the same scent as olive oil has? Seems like it would blend in with "green" and herbal scents... :confused:

Working with veggie waxes, especially anything but soy, is frustrating at best and takes time, testing, experimentation and repetition to achieve one's goals. I wouldn't expect these to be good "beginner's" choices for candles... The novelty may not justify the frustration for many folks, but I'm still gonna try some next year.:D

I wonder if the odor is due to the amount of olive oil they are adding? All soy wax has an odor to me (DH too!) personally I think it's stinky and can't wait to get the fo in...but I'm getting used to it a little. When I make my olive oil and rosemary candles, I add just about 1 tsp of EVOO pp of wax and all I smell is the rosemary in them, but that is a pretty small amount of oo.

Good idea, it may work very well with herbal FO's. I can use herbal FO's with my current wax so it isn't worth the time or cost to start all over with another wax. I've been making candles for many years now and one of the most difficult lessons I have had to learn is self-control. :o I actually think more beginners are usually the ones that are product and wax jumpers, I know I was. At first, I purchased everything I read about. If it was new, I ordered it. If one or two people mentioned a wax they loved I jumped right in and gave it a try. With more testing time under my belt I learned that every wax has an issue that keeps it from being perfect. I just don't want to deal with the inevitable inconsistencies that a new 'natural' wax will have. From what I have seen it just isn't any better than what's already out there. Not enough to change just for change sake. I've got the kinks worked out and all of my testing complete with my current wax and FO's. Which took many months of testing to complete. If it ain't broke don't fix it :). If the supplier is near you and it won't cost a lot for shipping have at it!!! You ladies seem to like adventure so it might be a fun process for you!:D

You ladies seem to like adventure

AKA "glutton for punishment.":laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

As far as the fragrance, there are some scents that just don't seem to "go" with the inherent creamy, shortening odor of soy wax, so I use those in palm. Now bakery scents, vanilly stuff, etc. seem to work better with soy. So I figure that if olive oil wax smells like olive oil, the "salady" scents would go well with it - along with a nice, chilled filthy martini. :D

Is the olive oil wax a creamy wax or a crystally one, like palm?

Does the coconut wax have any kind of coconut odor?

Can hardly wait for next year! :tongue2:

I wish I could watch more TV - my time comes in little pieces all through the day... I hardly ever get a chance to watch a program all the way through! As soon as I get interested in something, interruption #7,296 happens! AND, because of my spreading derriere, I NEVER watch cooking shows - even SEEING food makes me gain weight!:laugh2:By the time everything settles down during the wee hours, everything is "Paid Programming." :undecided Gotta get me that TeeVo thing...

And, BTW, thanks a LOT. Now that you went and mentioned FOOD, I gotta go see what's in the fridge! :tongue2:

Guess Stella doesn't watch that annoying Rachel Ray on the cooking channel

:laugh2: I thought I was the only one that thinks Rachel and her "EVOO" are annoying!

AKA "glutton for punishment."

That's what I was thinking but I was trying not to say it. ;) How about I admire your tenacity, courage, intestinal fortitude!:grin2:

Your right about the vanillas and soy. It may be a witch to wick but they really do work well together. I've worked with soy for so long that I no longer smell anything just from the wax. However, I know it's there because I remember noticing it when I first started testing soy. I smelled a very light something from the coconut. Not really a coconut scent but something. I've been working with so much FO over the last few weeks that I think my sniffer is defective!

along with a nice, chilled filthy martini

Now I am with ya there!!! Let's all make a date, after everyone gets their wax and has time to test and get the wicking down just right. Then order more wax when the supplier has moved on to selling from another batch or two. Inevitably that's when the headaches usually begin. So instead of pulling our hair out over it we can just gather here with some Appletini's or Strawberry Daquri and chalk it all up to a learning experience. In the mean time, I am just going to invest my money in a new blender and wait on you ladies to join me! :D :whistle:

PuhLEEZE! Shaken, not stirred!:D

How about I admire your tenacity, courage, intestinal fortitude!:grin2:

AKA "fools rush in where wise men fear to tread.":laugh2:

Since our weather has changed (kinda DRASTICALLY today - yesterday, I was sweating in shorts and bare feet and tonight we're bundled up for a hard freeze), I am retesting our soy formula to make sure it's dialed in for fall/winter/spring weather. Most of the year, I am trying to figure out how to keep it from melting! :rolleyes2