does lye go "bad"

chopsgirl

I had to throw some out that the humidity got to and I think activated. When I used it, there were parts that weren't dissolving in the water and I would have to strain out. I did that w/ a few batches and threw the rest out and bought new.

This has happened to me 2x now so I got fed up with my local supplier, I don't think he's storing it correctly. I buy it from lowes now.

I only make soap sporadically and have taken several months to get through a few pounds of lye. There wasn't a noticeable problem.

However, it can definitely go bad. Sodium hydroxide voraciously absorbs moisture from the air -- practically to the point that it can dissolve itself in humid conditions. That could throw things off because you'll be weighing water in addition to the lye when you measure it out. The other thing is that it reacts with carbon dioxide in the air to form sodium carbonate, which is a mineral ash that's useless for saponifying your oils.

You have to store it tightly closed.

I only make soap sporadically and have taken several months to get through a few pounds of lye. There wasn't a noticeable problem.

However, it can definitely go bad. Sodium hydroxide voraciously absorbs moisture from the air -- practically to the point that it can dissolve itself in humid conditions. That could throw things off because you'll be weighing water in addition to the lye when you measure it out. The other thing is that it reacts with carbon dioxide in the air to form sodium carbonate, which is a mineral ash that's useless for saponifying your oils.

You have to store it tightly closed.

So then, what IS the very best was to store your lye? I plan on storing mine in the basement. If it comes in tightly sealed can, I'll still keep it in a small tote as well?

I have a dehumidiphier in my basement as well. Not that I've ordered any yet but it's best to know before I do order it so I start off on the right foot the first time, every time.:wink2:

Fire

I get mine from Boyer, and it comes in 2 lb. paint cans. Haven't had to do anything special with them. Before, I would keep it in HDPE containers with a desiccant pack in each one, tight lid. I kept the containers in a large lidded pail with newspapers scrunched in between the containers.

i just looked at it again and I think you are right about the moisture. It isn't as freeflowiing as it was. it almost looks like moist white sand.

think there is any way to save it or at least compensate? I'd really like to play today and I don't have a local supplier.:cry2:

I get mine from Boyer, and it comes in 2 lb. paint cans. Haven't had to do anything special with them. Before, I would keep it in HDPE containers with a desiccant pack in each one, tight lid. I kept the containers in a large lidded pail with newspapers scrunched in between the containers.

You shouldn't use dessicant packs in lye. At best it's useless. Lye attracts moisture much more strongly and will suck it right out of the dessicant.

yep, I can attest to that. cause I didn't believe Top last time, I did a little experiment and put an over-used (i.e., slightly damp) dessicant pack in a big container with some lye in a smaller open container... the dessicant pack got nicely dried out and the lye got soggy.

The good news is that it renewed my dessicant pack LOL!