Replacing vodka in spray recipes

Brandyanne

I am not sure if I posted this in the correct place. I purchased a room spray recipe on ebay and it calls for vodka- Ithink I read somewhere on this board that vodka should not be used but I don't remember what you should replace it with and if you repalce it in the same amount the vodka would have been.

Does any one know what to replace it with ?

Thanks!!

I am so new to this I have to ask- are you saying that instead of vodka the room sprays can be made with cymethlicone or fractionated coconnut oil? Is there some room spray recipes posted on this board?

I hope so, cause now I want to make some!!! I just got some cymethlicone to use for perfumes, so what is the difference between room sprays and body perfumes?

I use cyclo to make my room sprays and body perfumes. With using cyclo you can sell it as a 4 in 1 spray a room spray, body perfume, room spray and a hair detangler and defrizzer. It works great and lasts a long time.

The fractionated coconut oil makes a wonderful after bath oil spray my customers love it. It absorbs quickly, doesn't feel greasy and the scent lasts a long time. HTH

Personally, I don't think I'd use FCO for a room spray. It just seems a little too oily for that. I'm not saying it's heavily oily, but seems like too much so for that use. I don't have any experience with cyclomethicone (sp?) so listen to the other ladies on that.

I would think you could make a room spray with just water and a little FO. Does it NEED something else, a kind of 'fixative' or something, in it? I don't sell it, though, so I don't know what all you'd want in it for that.

Darbla

You can make a spray with water and FO, but water and oil don't mix and, because of the water, you have a potential breeding ground for bacteria. Those are two good reasons not to do it that way.

Think "emulsifier" and "preservative" and you'll conquer the problems.

The final hurdle (and the one I haven't yet been able to get past) is staying power. My homemade sprays all fizzle out long before the commercial ones do. I've tried; cyclo and FO 6:1, cyclo, FCO and FO, vodka, water and FO, witch hazel, water and FO. I know there's got to be a secret to it, I just haven't discovered it yet...

Back to the drawing board... again...

I make body sprays with FCO, cyclo and FO. IF and I can't stress this IF enough, you sell this mix as a room spray........PUT a BIG RED CAUTION on your label. Do NOT spray in rooms with hardwood/linoleum floors.

It is an OIL mix, even in mist form, the oil WILL get on the floor causing the floor to be slick and someone WILL fall. I know from personal experience. My daughter sprayed my body spray in a hurry for work one night. I hit "something" on the floor and it was not a pretty site. While I was down on the floor, I noticed the oil sheen where she had sprayed it.

There are a variety of emulsifiers for a water/oil mix such as polysorbates and CME. I have tried these blends but my only problem was I couldn't get a clear mix using the amount of FO I wanted to actually be able to SMELL the scent. Others that use less FO have no problem with a clear mix. You can also just buy linen base to mix with your FO, water and preservative.

Thanks everyone for the info- I am still not sure what to preserve with though- I think I am a little confused.

It's good to know that if using any oil it will make floors slick!

I guess what I am looking for is what to preserve a Distilled water/witch hazel combination.

For a preservative, you can use:

Germaben II

Germall Plus

Phenonip

Liquapar Optima

Optiphen

There is a preservative info sticky at the top of the Bath, Body, Cosmetics forum. This has helped me at times trying to decide on my preservative when I first started making BB products.