Gross Eco-Soya PB

Has this happened to anyone? Not sure what the deal is but my wax melts are developing these little white dots all over the melt... kind of looks like white chicken pox. Does this mean I have a bad batch of wax? Takes a couple months for these dots to develop but they look horrible!

Any thoughts?

If this is frosting this is the most unique frosting I have seen in all my candle-making. But it is possible they were stored in a box for at least a year.

Oh forgot to mention that the little white bumps are slightly raised.

post-5551-139458436813_thumb.jpg

post-5551-139458436816_thumb.jpg

Looks a bit like a bad case of acne. I think if you've made this fo/dye/wax combo before, and this didn't happen, that something is different about this batch of wax. It really looks like frosting though. Frost comes in many forms, shapes and sizes available to fit all types containers...I've seen it look like snowflakes, fungus and everything in between!

By golly, it DOES look like chicken pox! :shocked2: It doesn't look like the typical frosting we usually see, but it does look like the crystal structure is changing in the wax... especially since you mentioned the dots are raised. I'll bet that area would feel "gritty" if you could rub it between your fingers... Is it only those two colors which are affected? Interesting that the pink is more afflicted then the orange...

I am curious as to whether the spots are developing on the surfaces that are in contact with the container, or whether they are all the way through the wax... Have you removed one and cut it open?

All joking aside, we have been discussing the role(s) of crystallization in soy wax in a couple of threads

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61700&page=2

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61303

which may help validate that's what's going on, but as to specifically what has caused your melts to dot up, I'm clueless.

Now, if you could CONTROL that phenomenon, it would make a really interesting effect... reminds me of ring-mottled stained glass... or maybe it's late and my mind is getting all dotty... :shocked2:

Hi,

I have seen it before. I have noticed that for me it comes when my products have set in an area that was extremely cold, especially if it was in a warm area. So basically, I have seen it only due to temperature changes. It occurs in dye free candles and those with dye.

HTH,

Jameel

Kandle Indulgence Company

www.kandleindulgence.com

These are just so old that they were the only ones left from that batch so I can't really say if it's happened to all of them I made or not because they got used... and I didn't hear any screaming from my customers about their melts growing chicken pox or acne.

But it probably is frosting but you can imagine my concern as it is a very unique looking frosting. These have been in and out of boxes, car trunks, various weather conditions but they smell better (cold) than they did when I first poured them.

Stella - I haven't cut them open to check... I'll have to do that but to be honest with you they looked so gross I didn't want to even touch them. My fiance was all worried they were growing toxic spores and said 'don't open them!' :) But when he wasn't looking I just had to touch but immediately washed my hands in a panic. I feel a bit more brave now though! I had just never seen anything like it before.

yes that happens, I've had it on my wax melts many times. Usually those melts that have sat around a LONG time and also been subjected to temperature change, ie being dragged out at 5am in the morning in winter for shows etc.

Doesn't affect the burn or scent - it's just fugly.

My fiance was all worried they were growing toxic spores and said 'don't open them!
TG he didn't see the 2 cinnamon rosemary candles I picked up this summer that had cauliflower type crystals growing around the wick...

He'd have had kittens!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Some of these crystallization patterns DO look more like a fungus among us then they do a crystal growing kit! :laugh2: