Changing Wicks without Repouring Candle?

Pour your candle without a wick. When it is set up, poke a hole and insert a wick, use your heat gun to melt the top wax around the wick and let set up. Test burn. If you don't have the right wick, pull that wick out, and start over. After you get the right wick, pour a candle with wick attached and burn the entire candle. Hope that helps. Good luck.

When the candle has hardened again after burning, all you do is get a pair of pliers and yank out the old wick. Insert your new wick in the hole (if needed you can make the hole bigger with a wooden skewer.) You won't be able to burn it all the way down because the wick will no longer be secured to the bottom.

When the candle has hardened again after burning, all you do is get a pair of pliers and yank out the old wick. Insert your new wick in the hole (if needed you can make the hole bigger with a wooden skewer.) You won't be able to burn it all the way down because the wick will no longer be secured to the bottom.

Please, please only do this with SOY. With Palm wax, it's not soft enough and will cause you a lot of heartaches and other issues. I tried the pliers with palm and the jar exploded on me. I think the bruises only faded last week! A word of caution. :)

Yikes! When I do this with palm wax, I don't wait for the wax to become cold - the warm crystal point is good. If there isn't much of a melt pool going yet, take a thin skewer and push it into the wax immediately beside the wick, then pull it out.

BRUISES? Jeeze, Vi! You were really honkin' on those pliers, eh? Next time, use vise-grips!:laugh2:If it takes THAT much force, some warming or other compensation is in order! And NEVER pry against the lip of a glass container! Glad you didn't cut yourself!:shocked2:

Please, please only do this with SOY. With Palm wax, it's not soft enough and will cause you a lot of heartaches and other issues. I tried the pliers with palm and the jar exploded on me. I think the bruises only faded last week! A word of caution. :)

OMG!! I never tried to remove a wick in palm...thanks for the heads up. I think she said she is using 70/30 anyway and it should be fine to use pliers in that.

All the way, Auntie. Even if you do not have to change the wick, you still have to test all the way down. The burn on the last half of the container is (arguably) the most important because the heat will be building up and the O2 content will be going down at that depth in a container. HTH :)