Working on my eczema balm - help me pick oils, please!

daniedb

There are so many amazing oils with wonderful healing properties, I am stymied! Here's the list I need to narrow down to only FOUR oils:

EPO

borage

calendula

carrot

cranberry seed

Emu

neem

Raspberry seed

Wheat germ

I'm definitely using emu and borage, unless someone can give me a good reason why not. I'm really torn between neem and wheat germ - neem has awesome healing powers, but can just get stanky. I know calendula has pretty amazing characteristics, too - so those are my faves right now.

I'd love some feedback on personal experience with working with them, which are oilier, which tend to give a better finished product, etc.

Thanks!

For sure the emu oil. Don't know much about the other oils you listed. You could also take some olive oil (I usually mix mine with some grapeseed) and do an infusion of several herbs. Some that come to mind that are good for skin and healing are as you mentioned calundula, then there is lavender, chamomile, st. johns wort, comfrey,plantain to name a few. I have most of those herbs dried so if you want/need some pm me and I will send some to you. I have not ever made a balm especially for exczema but I do use most of the above herbs in a "booboo" balm that seems to works well for cuts and scrapes etc.

There are so many amazing oils with wonderful healing properties, I am stymied! Here's the list I need to narrow down to only FOUR oils:

EPO

borage

calendula

carrot

cranberry seed

Emu

neem

Raspberry seed

Wheat germ

I'm definitely using emu and borage, unless someone can give me a good reason why not. I'm really torn between neem and wheat germ - neem has awesome healing powers, but can just get stanky. I know calendula has pretty amazing characteristics, too - so those are my faves right now.

I'd love some feedback on personal experience with working with them, which are oilier, which tend to give a better finished product, etc.

Thanks!

Borage only has a 3-6 mo. shelf life. I know the GLA is excellent, but why not switch it out for EPO which has a longer shelf life and you still get the GLA? I'd go with Emu, EPO, Neem. I don't see it listed but I'd use Avocado as well as it adds Vit. A, B, E and beta caroteen. My daughter has Psoriasis so this has been a huge project this year for me. I've also experimented with Kukui and I really like that one too.

I Agree with the avocado.... and I add hempseed to mine.

I add avocado, hempseed, emu, kukui nut oil in mine, i cant find my exact recipe (lack of organization:laugh2:) and I swear to you that she hasn't had a flare up (my daghter) in like 9 months since I started treat her with it. At the fiirst sign of a rash, I put some on her and its gone the next day.

I think i add another oil in there, but I am jus toooo lazy at the moment to look for it.

I really don't know about the other oils you have listed there, so I can't help you narrow those, just wanted to add my insight.

I've just tested raspberry seed and I wasn't thrilled with it. Mostly the smell - it wasn't as bad as neem of course, but you'd have to have something to cover it. It was just a little too sour-green for me.

I really like avocado oil, has a great feel.

No experience w/ carrot, but I've heard great things about it. I've also heard it's pretty yellow so I don't know if that would be a problem or not.

I'm excitedly following this Danielle, can't wait for you to come up with something AWESOME (as I know you will). :D

I'll be first in line to order it as I think I mentioned in another of your posts, my daughter has it, and I'd sooo much rather use something natural that works, as opposed to the script cream that she uses now.

As for oils:

Definitely the Emu

Borage

I really like Calendula and avacado as well.

I've never used EPO on my skin, but I've taken capsules so know a little about the properties of that, and would think that it might be a good one to add also.

A lot of people I know rave about hempseed but I know nothing of the properties or whether it would help in this application or not.

Hurry Hurry and get it going girl!! :D

Okay, avocado it is. And hempseed, I think.

Michi, LOL! I'm waiting on DH to give me the green light for another $50 purchase, that's what it's going to take for this - argh. I'll definitely be posting like crazy when I get the first batch done, and be recruiting testers, (notnaminganynames*ahem*michi). :D

Just something to think about as already stated once-

IMO- the market in my area is very much geared toward animal free products.

I used to make soap with lard when I first started then I came up with a different recipe that I liked better and removed the animal aspect. The difference in my sales and the growth of my business was unbelievable.

I, personally, am not anti-animal oils so please do not misunderstand me. I just know how hard that we all work on our products and want you to be aware of my experience.

Maybe I should email him and tell him you've already got people waiting to buy it-that should help ya get the "green light". :D

I know there are a lot of people who won't buy animal based products, but I also know there are a TON of people that are really turned on by the emu oil products-my mom swears by it, and I also saw a lady selling straight emu oil and other products with added emu oil, and she was SWAMPED with customers at her booth. ;)

I can't wait!! :D

Thanks for starting this thread!!! I'd like to try this! Does anyone know if the basic oils mentioned here could be added to a butter like shea or mango to make a healing butter? If so what amounts? I was thinking of the emu and calendula for sure. I was reading some interesting info on a product called seabuckhorn. According to what I read there has been good success with this used in burn patients, bed sores and a skin problem associated with chemo. treatments. I haven't located anyone that has actually used it. Anyway, anyone know about adding the oils mentioned here in a butter?

one of my friends on here sent me a ounce of mink oil. Ive been applying that directly on my patch of eczema. Its only been about a week but i can tell a difference.. Maybe add that one to your list of oils. After all if its good enough for leather, its good enough for my eczema lol