Show Me The Way

Cindys

Just got home from a show, it was held at one of the high schools in our area.It usually was held at the middle school and this year was changed to the high school due to renovations. Table fee was $40.00 for a 12 foot spot. Thier was 150 crafters there.Or I should say 150 different people there selling things. People selling avon, people selling tupperware. The one that really got me was this woman selling candles. A huge sign saying SOY Candles smell me. I being the nosey person that I am pick it up. First it was $3.00 for a votive and that expensive soy votive was palm wax. It was a nice feather appearance.I asked the lady did you know this is palm wax. She looks at me and said I dont make them I just sell them for a company from P.A. I AM so disgusted with shows. These people who put them on should be held accountable for,the quality of the show and the integreity of the crafters.After all there would be no event if we didnt show. They do forget that. By the way I broke even for the day.I have so much invested in this any suggesstions??????????????

Let your feelings be known, in writing, to the show organizers. In speaking to many of them, it has become clear that that don't get enough applicants when they specify hand crafted only. I can sympathize with that. Last show I did the people across from me had three racks of designer coats that must have fallen off a truck. There were others selling knock off purses and cheap imported jewelry. I did fine. Others did not.

I emailed the sponsors in a positive manner and they responded in kind. The vendors that I mentioned will not be allowed back. They stated that applicants are not always entirely truthful and I understand this as well. It is my personal opinion that the objectionable vendors should have been asked to leave, but that rarely happens. I also gave them some alternatives for recruiting crafters. They thanked me for my help, complimented my products and said that they hoped to work with me in the future.

e

I have issues with such retailer booths as Mary Kay, Avon, and Tupperware etc., at CRAFT shows. I am not necessarily dogging the product but the venue in which they are allowed to sell. I did a show last weekend that had a woman selling license plate purses for $350.00; another booth selling Tupperware; and jewelry that was obviously not made by a crafter or artisan - you know the kind. Nothing wrong with it but it is not a "craft." There were a few other booths that were obviously distributors of what they sold and did not have any hand in making the product.

Hang in there. Some shows are just not as good as others. And you never know what may come of this show down the road -- ultimately it could end up being one of your best shows.

I really believe it is hard to compete with the big retailers.. People buy from well known companies as I do. But at craft shows I expect handmade items. It isn't a craft show it is a commercial product and they should be charged double the normal fee. I was going to do a show but I found out it was going to have Partylite, Scentsy, Home Interior there. I can't compete because they were going to stick me in the back while these people were going to be at the entrance. I knew when they said they would squeeze me in the last row.. I was one of the first people to call to get a spot, but the lady doing PartyL.. decided I can't be near them..I told them to stick it...

I normally stick to the 'no buy/sell' shows also. I did do one a couple of years ago where at least they had the crafters in the gyms and left the vendors in the hallyways.

Definately let the organizers know how you feel. If they want to develop a reputation as a fine craft show, they need to keep it crafts. If they don't care, you find a show that does care.

Ahhh some of the organizers have no idea that places like the famoose Mia Bitchella aren't hand crafted by the vendor.

A lot of the shows we do are juried and I think we like them better, even if some do different things. Point is it's a craft show that should be crafted candles ... it isn't a manufactured show right? Course that's splitting hairs between I did not have sex with that woman I just e'd on her type of thing.

I wouldn't only write to the organizer, but I would highly encourage talking to her. Did they give you a survey or the chance to rate the show?

I did a big show last weekend, very successful for me. It was a "juried" show, yet I saw a few sellers there that there was no way they were selling hand made items.

Watches? Uh uh.

Figurines stamped "made in china" I think not. :laugh2:

You reminded me that I need to send an e-mail to the organizer.

It rather pissed me off. ALL of my items are hand made, except the packaging.

The two shows I have done so far, there was a couple selling these candles & melts at both shows:

http://www.obiwholesale.com/catalogsample/tc53003-p-4244.html $6.00

http://www.obiwholesale.com/catalogsample/tc54008-p-7417.html $3.00

http://www.obiwholesale.com/catalogsample/tc5604039-p-9391.html $1-2 I think

It is hard to compete with those prices and a hand made candle. Luckily I only brought my larger size candles and not the smaller ones. The first time I met them, I asked them if they go to OBI and of course they said yes. I wished them good luck after a little further discussion and went back to my booth. What do you do?

I attened a craft show this past weekend too where I saw Mary Kay, Avon and tupperware....along with a bunch of other stuff that was bought not made. I was in and out of there fast. Tihs craft show had been going on for 20 years and it had alot of traffic but it sickens me what they allow to be sold at a craft show. I had orginally signed up to sell my own handmade goods but backed out as I was just too busy. Glad that I did and didnt waste my time.

Guest Candelishis

All the shows around where I live have a strict "handmade only" policy. They even make you send pictures of yourself MAKING the products. The ones I sent in were of me adding FO and dye to some wax, then pouring tarts. Those weren't good enough - the lady couldn't see me making candles. So I had DH take some of me pouring wax into a jar, putting my wicks in, and then packaging my candles. Oh, and the lady in charge of that one - she lives 2 houses down from me, and her son is one of my good friends...yeah, they're super picky down here in So. IL. It's a bunch of small towns, and lots of people who spend all day, 365 days a year, tolling over their creations. So, they make sure you're the real deal. And if they don't think you are, believe me, they'll tattle on you...lol...

this is exactly why I'm no longer doing any shows... they are not what they were when I started about 5yrs ago.... a lot of work... little money - and crap that people call handmade.

i think what has happened is every church & school sees the money that can be made from booth fees - charging to get in.. and the food so they are all doing them - they could care less if we make any money... !!

Make sure when your submitting an application for acceptance to a show you read everything about the show. Does it state specifically hand crafted media, or does it say open media? You'll generally find that words like Expo, Gift Show, Arts&Craft Expo, Women's Day Expo, open media or that type of jargon used in promoting a show might sound nice. But it will unfortunately be saturated with the "Home Based Business BS" as none of those words specifies , hand crafted.

Anytime I'm sent a flyer that could be of interest I call... ask about what type of vendors are allowed. I've had promotors tell me their show is juried, and only allows one of each kind of "home based businesses". BIG DEAL it's still someone, selling someone elses stuff, anybody can sell someone else's stuff it isn't hand crafted. So not always does juried mean hand crafted, you really have to be careful in reading what the flyer states.

I document the day and the person I talked to about a show,,, and if I get to a show that does not follow the hand crafted integrity they told me it would be, I don't even set up and I demand my money back. ANDDDDD I get it. They would rather reimbuse me,. than to find themselves in a court room explaining why their flyer states hand crafted, yet home based is there.

Always make a copy of the application form, BEFORE you send it in, should you need to stand your ground with a promotor who is misrepresenting their shows.