Candle Making with Gulf Wax & Essential Oils

I want to make candle/s using 2 lbs of Gulf Wax some essential oils, and some candle containers that I already have on hand. I thought I could use these supplies that I have. I have since read that other waxes and FRAGRANCE OIL is what I should use. But I told my husband I was going to use these materials, so I want to USE these materials now and buy other materials later. So I know I won't get top-notch but can I get something that is usable from this materials??? I have never made a candle in my life. :P

Thanks!!!!

Gulf wax is a basically a household paraffin wax used for canning and a bunch of other things. It is a hard wax that would not be good for containers, but more for pillars or votives. You would more than likely need some additives (not sure what) to get a decent throwing candle. You definately could try the EO's, but IMHO it may be a waste of your expensive EO. As far as wicking a pillar with this wax, I personally wouldn't have a guess where you should start.......maybe flat braid #30 or #36. If you have never made a candle, you really need to begin with reading, reading and more reading on this site, so you have at least a idea where to start and do it safely.

I really suggest you check out a reputable supplier for a candle kit with the proper wax and other essentials you will need to make the type of candle you are interested in perfecting. Candlemaking is NOT a cheap, fast hobby!! There is a huge amount of testing involved to get a safe burning candle. :cool2:

Welcome to the board and the exciting world of candle making.

Canning wax is no good for containers and look forward to a pretty messy free standing candle - they'll drip.

I started out similiar to how you thinking of doing. Picked up some supplies at a craft store. Had no idea what I was doing. What a fiasco. I didn't touch candle making again for a couple more years.

Votive candles or small containers are a great way to start.

An inexpensive kit from a reputable supplier is probably one of the best ways to get into this hobby. These kits will give you all you need to get started except you may have to add a pouring pot and themometer to your order. Also the basic instruction on this site are very helpful.

Living on the east coast I suggest checking out candlewic or candlesandsupplies. I like these suppliers because they are close to me but I'm sure their are other members who can point the way to other good suppliers of starter kits.

Tell you hubby it's an early x-mas present.

Warning: Candle making is very addictive. :P

P.S. I don't recommend eBay for starter kits. Not to slam eBay sellers. You may think your getting more bang for your buck but you don't know what your buying. With a suppliers kits you know you can always go back to them for more wax, wicks, etc and know you'll be able to duplicate your good work.

I agree with getting a candle kit also. I did the same as you as far as trying plain parafin, and I bought cheap scents. But then I started reading on the different candle sights and figured out I didn't know what I was doing. I was told to start out with a kit to see if I liked making candles. I checked out Peak candle sight, Bitter Creek candles, and Cajun Candles also Candle Science. I probably spent about a month just reading.

Once you get started making candles and decide you like doing it, it is very addicting. Good Luck and have fun. If you have any questions email me. I will try to answer your questions. I have been doing this for about a year but still consider myself a newbie.

I guess if you want to try it go ahead. I have never used gulf wax for candlemaking but I think there is a label on their product stating you can use it for making a candle from what I remember. I am not sure you are going to get a great looking candle but if you really really want to try this addictive craft go for it... Let is know how it turns out and post a picture. Good Luck~!

Years ago I made my first candles using the wax you get at the grocery store. It used to come in 1 lb blocks. Just straight parrafin. I used to experiment making candles. It was fun. Nothing wrong with trying it out especially if you already have the materials on hand. Its also a lot cheaper.

Then if you decide you like it the next step may be to get a really good starter kit from a supplier.

Thanks to everyone for your great advise!! I will have to try to use this GulfWax because my husband wanted to help & bought it for me. I will try it and then buy me a kit after that. Thanks for the advise on where to buy kits etc.

I hope I like to make candles because I sure love to burn them in my home. Thanks everyone you are all jewels!!

Jane in SC

Hi Jane. Be vewy vewy caweful when you enter here. You may not want to leave:cheesy2:

Many years ago I tried the canning wax idea. Heck it was cheap and readily available and I just didnt know anything. It was a big dissapointment. Since I didnt know anything about poking relief holes or wicking, I had a huge crater in the center of my candle, wick was off center and it smoked like a burning oil tanker.

I even colored it with crayon bits....lol. Please note that I am definitely NOT suggesting you try to use crayons....

I didnt use any scent and quite honestly I would say that essential oils are more likely to disperse most of their scent as you are heating the wax.

I dont mean to frighten you or to put you off. I just wouldnt want your first candle making experience to be so horrid that you want to stay away from candle making as long as I did because of such dissapointing results.

On the other hand you may discover something wonderful. Best of luck.