Need help with a girl scout project

Actually, I'm not sure if this will even work. I was asked to make candles with the GS troop. It would be at someone else's house. I only do jars. There are 20 girls! I've never been to this other home so I don't even know if we'll all fit in the kitchen. I don't want to turn them down , but this gathering is only supposed to be 1 1/2 hrs long, and I can't see how I could break down the steps to get all the girls through the process. I just don't know if this is realistic. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll take all my stuff there, but how could I break it down into steps so they all can participate in a timely fashion? :confused:

Do you only want to focus on wicked jar candles? Maybe try tarts or wickless jars, a few less steps in making process, seeing less time allowed to fit it all in...then if they have another time (with more available time limit) then advance their technique to showing them how to do wicked ones. Maybe get the girls interested in a life long hobby by doing different levels with them. Sorry if I didnt help you out, just trying to give you some ideas:smiley2:

wendi

I made candles with a boy scout troop and we did ice candles in milk cartons. I had my daughter save the half pint cartons from school. You'll have to cut the tops off the cartons to make a square. We bought taper candles from the dollar store and cut them down to fit inside the carton. Then we held the taper with one hand while packing crushed ice around it to hold it up. Then poured pillar wax inside the carton. Once the ice is melted, just peel the carton away.

Hope your group is better behaved than mine was. I swear I'll never do another project with that group again!!

Thanks for the replies.

The girls are all around 9 or 10 years old. I think they really want to do wicked candles. I would love to try a granulated wax, but honestly, I haven't used that before, so that would be new for me too. I don't know about wicking and all those other variables with the granulated. But I like the idea. I suppose that would require testing. There's my dilemma. With 20 girls I really want to have a game plan that will give them a nice looking end result. They want these to be Christmas gifts. I was going to have them use 8 oz votives and print personalized labels for them.

If I mix the fo and color and we just do a melt and pour at the party, then they miss out on a big part of the process. I don't know how to do this with such a large group.

I guess I could just google 'girlscout candles' and see what other troops do. But then it doesn't feel like I'm donating my know how. The troop leaders could do that.

Trae-Your milk carton candles sound cool. I'd love to see the finished poduct. And I know what you mean about a group of boys. Been there.....

Since they want to do wicked, why don't you go ahead and wick all the jars except for maybe one. Then you can show them how to center the wick and explain the importance of it. While you are doing that your wax could be melting then you could explain the process of weighing and melting the wax, and measuring your f/o and dye.

I don't know what type of wax you are using, but you many also want to condiser how long it will take the amount of wax you need for 20 candles to cool enough to pour and produce a good looking candle. If you only have an hour and a half, it may take most of that time for your wax to cool to the right temp to pour, and are the girls going to leave their candles at this home until they set up enough to be moved? Just some thoughts.

Hope it turns out well for you and the Girls.

Jennifer

I don't know what type of wax you are using, but you many also want to condiser how long it will take the amount of wax you need for 20 candles to cool enough to pour and produce a good looking candle. If you only have an hour and a half, it may take most of that time for your wax to cool to the right temp to pour, and are the girls going to leave their candles at this home until they set up enough to be moved? Just some thoughts.

Yeah, this is exactly my thinking. And this is supposed to be their Christmas party. I might have to look into the granulated waxes and see what we can do with those. I didn't want to turn them down, but I don't think I'll be able to do 'MY' candles in that time frame with that many girls. I may just look up a candle craft project for them to do.

IMO, why teach them about the importance of wicking correctly, they are 9 and 10. If they want to start making candles it won't be for a few more years and by then they would have forgotten that lesson. I'd get 20 jars and pre-wick them (maybe flowerpot votives). Then I'd pre-measure the wax, FO etc and take it to the house and start it melting. Tell them how complicated it all is with the math involved in figuring percentages etc. That will make them think twice about how easy you've made it.

Then pour the candles, let them cool and they can take them home. If the wax is at pouring temp when the kids get there, they should be ready to take home in 1/5 hours.

Looks like we will re-schedule the candle project for a later date when we have more time and smaller groups to work with. Thank goodness. I'll still get to do the project with the girls, but under appropriate conditions. Thanks for your input and great ideas. This place -and the members- are priceless. :thumbsup: