Ooops!!!

I'm totally freaking out right now. I just got an email from one of my friends who bought a pumpkin jar with the hat from me. She said that the jar cracked...didn't say if it ruined anything just said it cracked and that she now understand why you shouldn't leave a burning candle unattended:sad2: When I tested these jars they didn't crack on me. I tested all the way to the bottom with two different wicks. She does burn her candles ALL DAY LONG though, so I am thinking that is the problem. OK...just need to relax now...thanks for listening:cry2:

If you tested those with two different wicks...all the way down...and they were fine...then she probably power burned it without trimming the wick. Some people just won't follow burning recommendations no matter how much you try to drill the importance of it into their heads...it's very frustrating.

One of the reason why I marathon burn when I test my candles is because I KNOW most of my customers DO too! I had a lady admit to me that she lit a candle of mine in her basement to control the oder of her cat's litter box. I lit it and forgot all about it for two days:tongue2: ! She remembered it because I had to go down and do laundry and smelled the wonderful scent and then remembered the candle!:P. I couldn't believe it but she said everything was fine but that she will never do that again!

OK...update. I just talked to my friend, and she said, and I quote "the wick was really tall still and all the paraffin was gone, just the tall wick was burning, thats why it got so hot." OMG...she hadn't been trimming the wick at all and then left it burning that long?!?!?!? Geesh, I guess I fill a little better about it now, except for the fact that if she burns like that, I'm sure others do as well:undecided

I have found that that is the problem with the general public when it comes to burning candles. When some of my friends have found out that I'm making my own candles, and they ask for one or two, I give them the whole "instructions" speech, and they look at me like I'm some kind of overzealous candle-burning nutcase!!!! "It's just a candle" they say, and I have to explain what can happen if they don't follow the instructions......

Why is it so hard?!?!?!?

I was at my daughter's house on Sunday. She had been burning a candle, which was just about spent. There was black soot from the bottom all the way up the inside of the jar. It was hideous looking! I asked her why in the world that candle made so much soot, didn't see trim her wick? "Trim the wick? You're supposed to do that?" Duh!! I can't tell you the number of times I tried to show her the proper way to burn a candle. Just like a kid to not listen to her mother! It's awfully hard to educate people on the proper way to burn a candle!!! :undecided

I find that the biggest problem is that the ones that do trim wicks, dont take the trimmings out of the melt pool. The trimmings are still wicks and if they burn the candle down too low all the trimmings will catch on fire and make the candle look like a can of sterno. CRACK!!! Bruce

I find that the biggest problem is that the ones that do trim wicks, dont take the trimmings out of the melt pool. The trimmings are still wicks and if they burn the candle down too low all the trimmings will catch on fire and make the candle look like a can of sterno. CRACK!!! Bruce
Sounds cool.

That's one reason I'm considering changing over to wick tabs with a 6 or 10 mm neck. Know the customer wants to burn a container / votive all the way to the bottom but safety comes 1st. I used the same pumpkin jar for all my testing and didn't have any problems. Did several marathon burns but always trimmed the wicks.

Had to add my 2 cents about people following burning labels...my doctor was kind enough to display some of my hurricane candles around the office...after giving the full verbal directions for proper burning, they proceeded to use short pillars in all of the hurricane shells! The next time I went in, the candles were misshapen and had wax from the pillars stuck to the insides, but they were STILL on display. I took all the candles home...I told them the candles look like crap because they didn't follow the instructions, but they still had my business name on them and I wouldn't tolerate it.

Hmmm. I just went through this same scenerio with 2 of my coworkers. I brought some old candles that didn't sell that still had my old business tags on. I told them to take some home and burn them. I proceeded to tell me "you know that little 1.5 oz. candle in the cute little jar vanilla fragrance I took home, it got down to about 1/2" wax left and then the jar cracked." I said how long did you burn it continuously .....pretty much all day, and did you ever trim the wick?....no, are you supposed to. Did you read the instructions on the inside of the lid, no didn't know I was supposed to. Then the other one chimes in and says, I always burn my candles all day long. Yikes! Apparently they don't know how to read and are deaf too! I'm doing a craft show next weekend and I think I will print a LARGE table tag with candle burning instructions with a disclaimer that I am not responsible for cracked jars or wax messes if you can't be a responsible candle owner/burner!