What do you use to hold your tilted Pillars?

I had a metal wire dish drainer that was absolutely perfect for the job ..... omg I just had a nasty thought, I took it to a bootsale! I don't need it in the new house. It didn't sell though (PHEWW) Its in my garage still. Mental note to get that out next time i'm there :D

Anjie,x.

lol Anjie, I used to make character cakes, like the wilton ones, and had loads of cake making equipment. Cutters, a turntable, loads of stuff. I sold most of it when I stopped making cakes. Still got a few cutters and my spatula comes in hand with my candles lol

think next time I'll try sand for tilted pillars

I had a metal wire dish drainer that was absolutely perfect for the job ..... omg I just had a nasty thought, I took it to a bootsale! I don't need it in the new house. It didn't sell though (PHEWW) Its in my garage still. Mental note to get that out next time i'm there :D

Anjie,x.

Thank you Anjie I'll try that. I have to buy one first ROFL mine's ready for the trash. Never thought of trying that.

Okay I'm having a heck of a time finding something to hold my pillars when I've tilted them especially when I need them to lay down a little farther. What does everyone else use to hold their pillars?

I've tried a few things over the past few years, and a shallow box w/dried beans in it worked the best.

LOL, Judyvega, another bean gal here. I use a cheapo baking pan from the dollar store with dried kidney beans. Works great!

e

Ha. Made the mistake at first of trying what we had on hand...i.e. dried corn kernels, rice....those are both too small and just make a mess......large beans work the best, for anyone who is looking at this thread lol. One of these days I'm going to figure out something that will be a free standing kind of thing.....however, for now the beans work great!

My final pour is messy; I always pour over the edge (on purpose). Thus, the beans get full of wax. I've been using the same couple of bags of beans for years.

I stick the wax covered beans in the pan in the oven at 200. When the wax melts, I use a dollar store strainer over an empty coffee can to pour off the melted wax. The beans dry out and I use them again.

Easy and cheap!

e

I use an old baking pan which I cover with a deep layer of uncooked rice. I cover the rice with some paper towel and then squish the mould down at an angle into it - it holds them real steady. I have been pouring into 12" triangle oblique moulds this past weekend and have not had one topple over. I always pour my last layer with the mould standing up straight on the table, so I don´t get wax all over the rice.:smiley2:

Do you have a pic? I don't know if I am picturing this right.

This is what I use if I'm just making a couple, but I have a really large shallow box I use for large batches. You can see the wax covered beans E talked about lol - oh, and ha ha, this has some of the crappy corn kernels in it, as well! :)

post-278-139458435477_thumb.jpg

I have a handy husband so he built me a tilter out of wood that holds 3 pillars. It is handy and I can adjust the degree of the tilt by turning a screw. I will post a picture if I can figure out how to do it.

I'd love to see it! Of course, I have no handy husband, but if I'd still like to see it just in case I can rope a relative into building it or something :D

Mine's different, holds two to four molds and I can't share the design, but I can almost lay the pillars on their sides if need be.

I knew yours would be different. And why has he disappeared? I remember when you got that "bad boy". I'd like one to hold fifteen molds!

I knew yours would be different. And why has he disappeared? I remember when you got that "bad boy". I'd like one to hold fifteen molds!

I dunno why he's disappeared, but I have a lineup that can do 10 at a time, actually I can do five in one IF I decide not to be a klutz.

I need to get him back out and doing stuff cuz I need bigger and better lol.

It's similar in some aspects to Scent Cellar's though.