Any Wax Review Sites?

Hi all!

I'm trying to decide on a good combo of waxes for my tarts. I'd love to read what others thought of some waxes before diving in and purchasing a bunch of wax. I know sites like Lonestar and Peaks tell you about the wax, but I'm interested in what people who have used the wax think (wet spots in jars, didn't hold scent well, etc.). I've been using a 75/25 preblended pillar/container mix, but I'm thinking I might want to throw some soy in. Any ideas if there are sites out there? Thanks as always!

I think that's a fabulous idea :) Like I said, it would be nice to see what other people think of certain waxes. The suppliers aren't going to tell you, "Oh yeah, you might want to throw some vybar in this wax, it doesn't hold scent very well", LOL :D

I'm trying to find a soy wax to blend into my tarts and am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices.

Come on people!! WAX REVIEW!! WAX REVIEW!! WAX REVIEW!! :)

I don't think it's such a good idea. People already rely on other's opinions of waxes too much as it is and would be better off trying things for themselves. There's enough information already available about the properties of each wax and reviews by individual users could just as easily be misleading as informative, depending on their expectations and skills.

I don't think it's such a good idea. People already rely on other's opinions of waxes too much as it is and would be better off trying things for themselves. There's enough information already available about the properties of each wax and reviews by individual users could just as easily be misleading as informative, depending on their expectations and skills.

:P Party Pooper :)

I totally understand your point though. I just like the idea of hearing other people's opinions on the waxes. I know I'd have to form my own opinion, but it just seemed like a good idea :)

I agree whole heartedly.

Now my opinion...Between here and the archives of the old board there is a ton of reviews on the different waxes, barring the new ones. More often than not, people don't want to go to the trouble of researching the info out. No, I'm not pointing at you, this comment is in general. Even if there was a review site or thread here, we'd still have to point people to it because they wont look for themselves. Then there would be those who say they bought a wax because the review said it had a good throw, etc and now they're mad because it doesn't for them. Even if people do read up on the waxes, here, at manufacturers sites or at a review site, the bottom line wont change. Others results and opinions may not match yours. I see that here often. Someone will ask about a wax, two will respond it has a great throw, two will respond they couldnt get any throw.

Ok, now that I've probably ticked off numerous people, I'll hush :D

I agree with you that some people don't bother to search for themselves, but for those of us that do, there is a lot of conflicting information out there. As they say in the classics "Opinions are like a$$holes - Everyone has one"......

What I think would be more helpful, is detailed information about the waxes, and by that I mean manufacturers, meltpoints, the amount of FO it will hold, opacity, etc..... Yes, we can go onto the internet and search for it ourselves, but this is a candle makers site, and it would be easier to find all information in one place.

Another thing that needs to be remembered, is some of us are more fortunate than others, and not everyone out there is able to buy slab after slab of wax to test them all out. Maybe you guys have forgotten what a darn expensive hobby this is!!! :grin2:

I think the wax's are a lot like the FO's. you just have to get them and test foryour self and see if they work as good for you as they do for someone else, i have gotten at least 3 or 4 fo's that was supposed to be good, but for me no matter what i tried i could not get that strong throw. i tried the j50 wax that a lot said was working good for them... for me i couldn't get a good hot throw on most fo's. that doesn't mean the wax wasn't good, just that for me i couldn't get it to work. so i went back to kyparsoy. but when someone does post their results or offer suggestions it helps others. and for my tarts i take the easy way out and get the already blended for tarts & votives, if it works good why mess with it:D