Air Pockets

Once in a while one of my candles will have an air pocket that becomes noticable on the first burn. I heat gun the tops, but don't do 2nd pours cuz I'm terrible at them (they separate every time regardless of temp). I read on here to poke holes around the wick and then heatgun to let the wax fill the air pockets and the hole you make...well I tried that and as it burns you can see where I made the holes (it looks filled in with wax, but you can see where the holes were on the first burn.) Any other suggestions...or do you all just live with an occasional air pocket?:tongue2:

I don't think the brand of wax should be an issue??? But what do I know...I use C3 and I've been poking the holes and yes you are right, you can see some of the holes on the first burn. My sister, of all people, was the only one to bring it to my attention. This week I decided I'm not going to poke holes anymore, just take my chances. I'll see how many complaints I get about air pockets and decide from there what to do next.

Air pockets are a big deal because, if they are large, they can drain the contents of the melt pool and expose too much wick suddenly.

Generally, some poking while the candles are still soft and some thumping to shake the air bubbles loose so that they can rise to the surface and break will do the trick and leave no discernable signs in the finished candles. HTH :)

This week I decided I'm not going to poke holes anymore, just take my chances. I'll see how many complaints I get about air pockets and decide from there what to do next.

Are you selling? As a purchaser I expect to get something as free from defects as possible and probably wouldn't go back, even if I didn't bother to complain. As a gift recipient, well I don't look that horse in the mouth...

My candles do the same, never had a complaint. Seeing where I poked relief holes doesn't affect the burn. When I don't poke holes, the wick burns down to the bottom in about 2 minutes and then it's useless. I would rather have my customers ask me about the holes and give me a chance to explain, than never hear from them again because of a bad experience. Most people understand.

My candles do the same, never had a complaint. Seeing where I poked relief holes doesn't affect the burn. When I don't poke holes, the wick burns down to the bottom in about 2 minutes and then it's useless. I would rather have my customers ask me about the holes and give me a chance to explain, than never hear from them again because of a bad experience. Most people understand.

So you must be poking after the candle sets up? I've never tried it while the candle was still soft like Stella, figured the air would just accumulate again while setting up the rest of the way. Before I starting poking the holes, I'd get 1 out of 20 that would have a slight air pocket and 1 out of 40 with a bad one. Doesn't seem like it's worth the time it takes. I guess what I'm having a hard time believing is that every candle maker is poking relief holes and either using a heat gun or doing 2nd pours to fill the holes. Maybe they are, but not many have chimed in here.

If relief holes are made AFTER the candle is hardened, there is no guarantee that a second pour will fill the air pocket. Often, the liquid wax of the second pour will only partially fill the holes made.

After the candle is poured, the tiny bubbles come together and either cling to the interior of the candle, wick or rise to the top as the liquid wax is cooling. As the wax becomes thicker, the bubbling lessens. If you can catch those pesky bubbles as they are forming and help them get to the surface to break, there is much less chance there will be any sizable air pockets to fill later.:wink2:

I hover over every candle several times as it is cooling to "thump" and poke bubbles. It takes a little more time, but I have found it to be time well spent. If I were smart, I would put them on a vibrating table like a friend made to agitate the air bubbles from her concrete molds...

I use C3 as well. The lady that taught me to make candles said she always poked her holes after the candles set up, so that's the way I've always done them. No I don't sell my candles to the public. My family and friends pay for the supplies I used to make them, or I give them as gifts. I honestly haven't had any problem with poking after set except that you can sometimes see where one or more holes were (like I stated before, they are full of wax.) I'll try disturbing the candle as the wax is setting up and see if I notice a difference. Other than burning it, if you are not making the holes after it sets, how do you know if you got them all? I can easily feel when I poke the holes where a pocket is if there is one.