Has anyone taken soap making classes?

8-GRAN-ONES

There are 2 classes on CP soapmaking..One at the Nova School in Richmand Calif..they are having a 2 day work shop..sounds really good..

Another one in Fairfield Calif..this one is taught using all natural ingrediants, meaning herbs and whatever for scent, and coloring..is called natural body care with Joan Morais..she also teaches to make all kinds of bath & body lotions...ect...

It just seems like it would be good, being I have never made either..and sometimes just seeing how something is made helps..and they also teach how to use the lye calc..which is like a foreign object to me..lol

Hello All, Yes, I have taken soap making classes. I had wanted to make soap for years, after reading about it in the Mother Earth News many years ago. Life went on, and I forgot about it for the most part. Then I read an ad in the local paper about soap making classes and I thought "Finally, I am going to do this".

I have since taken a couple more soap classes, all CP, a lotion and lip balm class, and a paraffin candle making class. Take the class if you can, my instructor was very good and I learned alot from her each time. Good Luck! Ruby

No, my first soap was the beginner's recipe here:

http://www.millersoap.com/USAToday/SoapArtUSAToday.html

It turned out perfect the very first time, and for me to have that kind of luck then anyone can do this. I bought a $2 replacement coffee pot, a $6 stainless steel soup pot, Roebic lye from Lowe's, and cheapie stirring spoons and whatever else was needed according to the recipe. My only problem was the FO faded but I did some research and read where lots of people were less than pleased with this company's FOs in CP lye soap (FNWL). When I delve into lye soap again I will use this recipe again.

I have enjoyed From Nature With Love FOs in lotion, though. So I guess they just get eaten up by the lye. Or it may do fine in HP soap.

Darbla

I have never taken an actual soap class, per se~ but I have seen many demos at conferences and gatherings. There is ALWAYS something to learn from another crafter, IMO. I found each one to give me a bit more knowledge and/or creativity.

I think a soap class, especially for a beginner- is a fantastic idea.

Most people are visual learners, and it will condition you on the importance of lye safety and what it actually does in the soapmaking process. I think that is a common issue with most newbie soapers. With good reason, of course. Just my two cents. :cool2: