Ez Soy

hi everyone! I did a search and found some info on here about ezsoy, however I wanted to ask a few questions. I started using ky puresoy and the natural votive pillar blend. However, bittercreek north is pretty close, and I noticed that alot of people have luck with ezsoy and that alot of fo's work well in it. What I noticed on the bcn website was that if you add 5 tbsp of stearic that you can make votives and tarts with it also! It would be SO cheap for me to have one wax for everything!! So i wanted some opinions. Is there anyone that uses this wax for tarts, votives, and containers? Do you find that most oils are throwing well in this wax. When I hear of wicking problems, what do you find you need to use for wicks in this wax. I do the half pint 8 ounce regular mouth jelly jars, votives and tarts. Thanks in advance for any opinions you have! :highfive: ;)

Well she would not tell me it was the exact same that would have been bad business on her part but I ran it through some quick tests last year and everything preformed exactly the same. Fortunately I was only needing to create a lot of candles in 5 FOs so I was able to complete the order I had and since then I have retested all of my FO and Jars and everything stayed the same. BCS is much closer to me so I save on shipping so instead of going back to KY pure soy I stayed with ez-soy.

I have tried making votives by adding stearic and they come out way too greasy. I thought I'd save, too, but it sure didn't work out for me. I am using EZsoy along with some others, but I cry and pull my hair out, the frosting at times is horrible! :cry2:

Hi all,

I've used EZ Soy for 3 years now and like it real well. I find that scent throw with it is great in about 90% of the 175 scents we carry. Someone would really have to show me something a lot better to get me to change. as far as frosting goes, I quit fighting it years ago and work with it. It's the nature of a 100% soy candle. People that buy my products, I find, don't even think frosting is an issue. at least they never even asked what it was.

Andy

So then, is it a bad thing to use soy to make tarts?

I have been using CBA2, but I was going to try the EZ to see if it had a firmer form. I know that the CBA2 tarts that I made are delicate, but I don't know if that will deter me. I am thinking with coming up with some sort of hand rolled form to cover the softness.

EZ is good to use for tarts. It's not as greasy a wax as others I've used.

I have a question about frosting in this wax. I have used it for about 2 years now and lately the frosting is so bad I'm ready to quit. The whole bottoms of my pumpkin pie and some others FO's turned solid white. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm working on changing dyes. I have used blocks, chips, flakes, liquid, soy liquid...........Help!

Thanks Marilyn,

I was just returning a reply to someone who does not use dyes.

I am considering this if I use EZ for tarts, and if I find that the frosting is too bad.

I don't know yet.

However, when I did use the EZ, I rather liked the frosty look. I haven't made tarts with it yet, but I will, and decide from there.

I will probably make them the weekend...we'll see...wish me luck!.. and thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used EZSoy for 4 yrs & love it. I've seen Doneen (from BCN) post that EZSoy & KY are the same blend. I've always used the same wax for containers & votives. I make 3oz dixie cups votives & it works perfectly. I've tinkered w/various amounts of PSA & a soy blend UA. I think I'll try BW next to keep the wax natural. This wax throws great w/most every fo I've tried. If it's not throwing too well, let 'em cure longer. If it still doesn't throw then take notes & drop that fo. I use zinc wicks. A hard combo to master, but I like zinc for its rigidness. I leave most of my candles white then top off with a small layer of color for eye appeal. I get very little frosting with the small layer of color.

HTH -- Susan.

I've used EZSoy for 4 yrs & love it. I've seen Doneen (from BCN) post that EZSoy & KY are the same blend. I've always used the same wax for containers & votives. I make 3oz dixie cups votives & it works perfectly. I've tinkered w/various amounts of PSA & a soy blend UA. I think I'll try BW next to keep the wax natural. This wax throws great w/most every fo I've tried. If it's not throwing too well, let 'em cure longer. If it still doesn't throw then take notes & drop that fo. I use zinc wicks. A hard combo to master, but I like zinc for its rigidness. I leave most of my candles white then top off with a small layer of color for eye appeal. I get very little frosting with the small layer of color.

HTH -- Susan.

Hi Susan! What do you add to the wax to make votives? Just stearic? And how long do you normally let your candles cure? Just asking because it seems to take some time even for stronger scents. And i love your idea about topping them off with a small layer of color, i may have to try that. :smiley2:

I started w/just PSA, but found I would get deep cracks w/certain fo's. So, this is what I do now (& have done for about a year) & what I'm about to tell you will no doubt have more than a few people raising eyebrows & wanting to know why. I add 1tsp PSA & 1 tsp UA per lb. of soy. I will happily send a free votive to anyone who swears I'm crazy for using both additives. You can make votives without any additives, but they'll be too so soft & oily. I found PSA by itself to have too many variables, so I dropped the amount & went w/both. I have minimal frosting & my tops are almost always smooth & level. Curing varies, but you'll have better luck if you add the fo at 175-180 & stir a good 3 minutes. I know -- the wax instructions say to add at something like 130, but you won't get a solid hot throw at that temp. Also, stir several times as the wax cools. I always use 1.5oz fo & have never had any fo sweat out. I have many more ways to 'break the rules' w/this wax, so drop me a line if you have any more problems. I'll be glad to help.

Susan.

• 3 months later...

HTH -- Susan.

Sorry this is a old post but don't you think maybe Doneen Maybe is just saying it to get more people to buy her wax. Just wondering?

Vickey: Aren't EZSoy and KYPure the same as the 415? They have the same MP and are manufactured by GF. I've ordered the 415 to test to see and am hoping it is the same as the EZ since the shipping for the 415 will save me so much in shipping. Vickey, don't you live in Colorado? If the 415 is the same as the EZ, that would mean that it would be even cheaper for you too since Peaks now carries that one.

And it makes sense that they would be the same since they come from the same manufacturer and the MPs are the same. To me, it's like private labeling. If you private label your candles to a company, they are still the same candles that you sell or that any other company that would private lable your product too would sell. Just a thought. :)

You are right Meridith about the waxes.

And for anyone else that is curious, KY Puresoy, EZ Soy and 415 are essentially the same wax, private labeling. I don't think Doneen would tell someone that just to get them to buy the EZsoy. It really doesn't benefit her, because people could just as easily buy the 415 or the KY Puresoy. She is just being informative. Here is a thread that discusses the EZ soy and KY Puresoy.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6653&highlight=ez+soy