More New Soaps

GrandmaArial

Got caught up on the basic soaps so decided to play with some new ideas.

The first is the dream I had about Jaybyrd’s “Crazy Carrot & Honey” soap, sans honey. I was testing some vegetable dyes with lye water the other day and there sat the gold mica (wsp, approved for skin care including M&P but nothing listed for CP) so I tested it too. Passed with flying colors… so I used, it did morph into an almost new copper penny color but seems to be lightening up somewhat. We will see what it looks like in a few weeks… scented with my own version of “Grandma’s Kitchen”. Lots of citrus, heavy on the grapefruit and tangerine, with a hint of herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme…). This is the strongest scented soap I’ve made except for the bayrum. At this point the mica is still shinny specks in the swirls, I hope they survive.

Next is the bayrum revisited. Tried to make something hubby would like. He’s using it so it must be ok. However I must note… someone stole my swirls… whoever has them please take care of them, I want them back in the same shape you took them in. I do like the tops on these, came out good in my opinion.

The third is a lavender/chamomile with calendula I made for my friend. The lavender and chamomile are both infused oils with extra herbs swirled in, and I think the scent is about right. I added the calendula for color and the first week it was a lovely soft yellow… I’m thinking next time the carrots will make a better color choice…

Last but not least is my first salt bar. I knew I was miscalculating for the mold but decided to just go ahead and make a 3 lb batch (1.5 lbs oils, 1.5 lbs salt) but salt is denser than oil so the bars came out small. Next try I will increase the batch by 30%. It is essentially the same as the “sea side” soap I made awhile back. Swirled with ground kelp, scented with Bittercreek’s “ocean mist”, but at 1% (compared to .5% as I used in “sea side”. It really smells like being at the beach. It's not a pretty soap but I can’t wait for this one to cure so I can try it out in the tub.

Thank you for looking.

post-7822-139458434108_thumb.jpg

post-7822-139458434112_thumb.jpg

post-7822-139458434115_thumb.jpg

post-7822-139458434369_thumb.jpg

HAH!

And you say my disasters look better than your good stuff....caught you in a lie!!! :D:laugh2:

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please note that I said MOST of my good stuff… and then out of the four bars here only one MAY turn out pretty! The bayrum lost its swirls, the lavender/chamomile has gone a funky grey color, and the salt bar… just plain UGLY! The carrot soap is only 2 days old so it MAY wind up pretty, and if it doesn’t change (I think it’s gorgeous right now) then I will have a one in four ratio of prettier than your disaters….:P :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

and the salt bar… just plain UGLY!

And the salt bar was my favorite out of all of them. Just goes to show you how different tastes are! I love the contrast between the white and dark parts. I think it's gorgeous!

As for the carrot, if the natural color doesn't stick around, you can use carrot seed oil to get that natural orange color. It takes very little (trust me), and it's a gorgeous color.

Here's a picture of my carrot soap. The color is COMPLETELY from the carrot seed oil. It was strong enough that it stained my mold. I love your carrot soap, and think the gold mica swirls would be gorgeous in with this, but my request was for a completely all natural soap, so it is...

Carrot-Facial-Bar.jpg

And the salt bar was my favorite out of all of them. Just goes to show you how different tastes are! I love the contrast between the white and dark parts. I think it's gorgeous!

As for the carrot, if the natural color doesn't stick around, you can use carrot seed oil to get that natural orange color. It takes very little (trust me), and it's a gorgeous color.

Here's a picture of my carrot soap. The color is COMPLETELY from the carrot seed oil. It was strong enough that it stained my mold. I love your carrot soap, and think the gold mica swirls would be gorgeous in with this, but my request was for a completely all natural soap, so it is...

The contrast in the salt bar is what I was working for but if you look close you see it all sort of mixed its self up when I wasn’t looking somehow. From a distance it’s nice but up close it looks like a chunk of dirty chalk, and I like to get close to soap when I’m using it. Another problem is I used coarse salt so the texture is rough, rougher than I wanted… the surface looks pitted… unpleasant. Well, live and learn. I still like the way it smells (though most people won’t like the kelp I think).

The carrot soap might loose its color? NO! You’re teasing me? Say you’re teasing me!

That’s a beautiful soap you have! I really like the translucence of carrot soap. I guess I will have to get some carrot seed oil.

You know you can always make a batch with mica for yourself…

Pffffft..... Had Lasik surgery, was corrected to 20/15 - you are DA BOMB!!

Ok… everyone be here next Thursday @ 9am. I have an appointment with my optometrist for all of you… cuz you are all obviously blind! One pretty out of four… and I took the picture today just in case the mica morphs to grey (or worse) and gets ugly too…

Excuse me Cheryl.... I'd like one of each please. :D

They came out WONDERFUL. I love your soaps. Very natural looking and earthy. I bet they will all feel fantastic!! (Just like your Jade soap... which by the way... I'm HOOKED on it... LOL) And congrats on your first salt bar!!! Looks WAYYYYYY better than mine. LOL

Soap enough for me next time... don't know when I'll be able to start soapin' again...:( And boy... do I want to make a batch!! I'm itchin'... but it will have to wait.

Donna, you know you can have anything you want! You’re the one who got me hooked. When you see this in person you’re going to see how much prettier yours is. I had to make my own cuz yours is almost gone.

The jade is gone, I guess it’s time for me to get busy and do the tweaking to try to get what I originally wanted. Or maybe I’ll just keep it the way it is.

Maybe sometime in the future we can do a salt bar swap... after I've had time to tweak mine. Although I'm proud of it (all mothers are proud of their new babies) I would be embarrassed to compare it to anyone else’s at this point.

SEE, your one up on me already.....I have been wanting to try a salt bar but I am chicken, not to mention I don't have a recipe so there.

But truly, your soaps look great, I even went back and got close to my 21" screen and analyzed them too!!!!:D

Donna, you know you can have anything you want! You’re the one who got me hooked. When you see this in person you’re going to see how much prettier yours is. I had to make my own cuz yours is almost gone.

The jade is gone, I guess it’s time for me to get busy and do the tweaking to try to get what I originally wanted. Or maybe I’ll just keep it the way it is.

Maybe sometime in the future we can do a salt bar swap... after I've had time to tweak mine. Although I'm proud of it (all mothers are proud of their new babies) I would be embarrassed to compare it to anyone else’s at this point.

SEE, your one up on me already.....I have been wanting to try a salt bar but I am chicken, not to mention I don't have a recipe so there.

50% Coconut

10% Castor

40% Olive or RBO

As much salt as you can cram in there, generally 50% of the oil weight.

Now you have no excuses, LOL!

e

Beautiful! The salt bar looks & sounds just perfect, plus the pic is great - the lighthouse complements the bars exactly in color as well as theme. All I can say about the carrot is :drool: :drool: omg:drool: :drool:! I love the way the colors & swirls turned out in the bayrum & the carrot - whole different branch of styles & you nailed it, you talented li'l thang, you!

50% Coconut

10% Castor

40% Olive or RBO

As much salt as you can cram in there, generally 50% of the oil weight.

Now you have no excuses, LOL!

e

Thank you euginia! :laugh2: OK DeJay, now you have no excuse... get busy... we're waiting for those pictures!:P

Thank you Firegirl, and everyone else. Although I still think you're all blind, or just have really strange sense of esthetics… oops… sorry, that’s me… But, does anyone have any idea why the lavender/chamomile turned grey? Or who took my swirls?