To Bevel or NOT to Bevel...

ShoogieScents

I USED to bevel. As a user of the soaps, I prefer the beveled edges. The first few times in the shower, those edges can be a little rough. But they smooth out quickly enough.

I now do NOT bevel. For me, it was a time factor issue. We're trying to wholesale our soaps more than retail, and the labor time it added was astronomical. So we cut it out of our soap making process.

I still bevel my dad's soaps, cuz he asked me to though! :D

I also like the 'lumpy' tops on my bars. I keep a stash of bamboo skewers close at hand when I'm making soap just to play with my tops after I pour them. Beveled edges never looked right with these. Back when I was beveling, I usually shaved the tops off, then beveled the edges. I loved that look as well, but it produced soooo much waste. Yes, I could have confettied it for another batch of soap, but I rarely did. So between lots of excess scraps that usually ended up tossed, and the time it took away, I just took to polishing up my bars, but not beveling them.

I also like the 'lumpy' tops on my bars. I keep a stash of bamboo skewers close at hand when I'm making soap just to play with my tops after I pour them. Beveled edges never looked right with these. Back when I was beveling, I usually shaved the tops off, then beveled the edges. I loved that look as well, but it produced soooo much waste. Yes, I could have confettied it for another batch of soap, but I rarely did. So between lots of excess scraps that usually ended up tossed, and the time it took away, I just took to polishing up my bars, but not beveling them.

I hear ya Lindsay! I used to bevel and with my textured tops it just didn't look right AND I just don't have the patience for it!

Bethany