Wow! Have you read this?

What kind of label information is required for candles?

Federal law requires that consumer commodities like candles be labeled with the manufacturer's name and location, as well as basic product weight and measurement information.

In addition, candle industry standards call for cautionary labels on candles or their packaging to inform consumers of the basic rules of fire-safety. All NCA members place cautionary labels on their products, and usually supplement them with additional burning and use instructions. Always read and follow a candle's cautionary label and burning instructions before using a candle. I fot this out of the National Candle Organization. I didn't know this. Did anyone else NOT know this? Or am I the only dummy.

Do you guys actually list every ingredient on your label? And the quanity? I guess I better start making some new labels. Man!

You don't need to list every ingredient. You just need to list the net weight, caution label, business name, town and state and a contact info (an e-mail or phone number).

Net weight means if you have an 8oz jar that only holds 6 oz. wax you say ~ Net 6 oz.

HTH

Kim

As long as were on this subject, I have a question about the net weight. I put it on my labels, but what if your over that weight, think it matters? In hand poured I find it tough to get exact...so I always make sure it's at least what is stated. I'm not going to go print a label each time I make a candle.

As long as were on this subject, I have a question about the net weight. I put it on my labels, but what if your over that weight, think it matters? In hand poured I find it tough to get exact...so I always make sure it's at least what is stated. I'm not going to go print a label each time I make a candle.

I do this also. I think it would be better to be over than under. Not positive though:confused: .

Speaking of weight. I ship alot of candles. I have noticed lately that the weight of a case varies because of the jars. I have never had this problem before. So it has to be the glass. One case will be 7.90 shipping and the next exact case will be 9.15 shipping. Weird hugh. I use the 8oz. square masons. You think the glass is that much thicker on some jars? Just sharing.

Speaking of weight. I ship alot of candles. I have noticed lately that the weight of a case varies because of the jars. I have never had this problem before. So it has to be the glass. One case will be 7.90 shipping and the next exact case will be 9.15 shipping. Weird hugh. I use the 8oz. square masons. You think the glass is that much thicker on some jars? Just sharing.

I noticed the same thing, so I started weighing my jars prior to filling (not all of them!) and there is a slight difference in weight, maybe same thing goes...as long as it's over their stated weight, it's ok? They are just fractions of an ounce difference, but when you put 4-6 jars together, it definitely changes postage.

I'm pretty sure the PO has price levels for each ounce....so If something is 5 lbs 3 oz and you go up a few ounces in the next box you're going to get a price hike.

Like this one too: I was mailing a book, I wanted to send it Media Mail but it was actually cheaper to go First Class, I think when you hit 5 ounces Media Mail is cheaper...

Yes, candles are under the FPLA - here's a good description of the requirements

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/laws/fpla.html

Ok this brings up a question that I am totally confused about but it doesn't refer to candles. In one sections it says...........you must list the manufacturer (section 1453 #1) soo say you purchase lotions or lip balms from another company do you have to list it as "manufacturered by XXX business/company for XXXX company" ?? Am I making sense ??

I wish someone would put my mind to ease because I have read this several times.

My weights and measures man told me the whole idea of having a weight or item count is to give the customer the information they will need to decide the value of a product. If you have 6 tomatoes in a tray you dont need to label it as 6 tomatoes because they can see them. If you have a standard size container the same goes for that. Pints, quartz ect its a known size to everyone. Candle jars come in all shapes and sizes so its hard to tell which jars hold more and which ones hold less without the net weight on the product. I use wide mouth half pint jars and do not put a weight on the product and "my" weights guy says thats fine because its a standard size that we all know. I just call mine half pint jar candles not 8 ounce jar candles because as we all know liquid measures and weight measures are not the same and even liquids are not the same like water and wax.. wax is lighter. Im not saying to do it this way but until someone shows up and tells me to make changes Im going with what I was told by a man that has done weights and measures for 20+ years.

Bruce

Who really regulates candles? Is there candle police out there. I always see candles with no contact info. or anything listed. If anyone has a hispanic section in their store all the religious candles don't have anything on them. No weight. No size. No contact. Nothing. I was at a garden center this past weekend and the candles in the shop just had the name of the scent and that was it. I am baffled that is really isn't regulated just stated on a website.

I don't think that anything would be done even if the candle police did find you in error...other than a warning. I mean they hide this info so deep in the bowels of doing business and government regulations that the common person never finds it anyway. I don't think they have the time or resources to deal with the big guys, let alone us little guys...well speaking for myself...little guy.

Who really regulates candles? Is there candle police out there. I always see candles with no contact info. or anything listed. I am baffled that is really isn't regulated just stated on a website.

Doubtless a lot is simply beneath their notice, but I assume bigger companies can't get away with non-compliance so easily. To answer your question about who regulates this...

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) administers the FPLA with respect to foods, drugs, cosmetics, and medical devices. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) administers the FPLA with respect to other "consumer commodities" that are consumed or expended in the household.

So in the case of candles it's the FTC. They're the candle police with respect to labeling.

You know what I find odd is that I have seen some very high priced "designer" type candles that didn't have the weight any where on the product package or labels. Think they would know all of the rules.:undecided

I never noticed that but I'll have a look next time I'm browsing them. It does seem odd. Thing is, net weight would only be found on container candles. Pillars are sold by their dimensions and tapers by length. You have to use whatever units are conventional for that product, so that consumers can compare.

this is just my oppinion but i have dealt with the irs enough to know how the government works. believe it or not they will come after the small guy a whole lot faster than the big guys, we cannot afford to pay the high priced lawyers to fight our casses and thier for they get thier money faster and with a lot less cost. and take the warning first time with a grain of salt i guess it would all depend on the guy who is looking into the case, normally they only respond to complaints but if the guy is in a bad mood what have you you may get the book thrown at you. ignorance is not an excuse, i have heard this as have many others so when you learn of a new set of rules governing you try and incorperate it as soon as possible. its been my personel experiance that the government is not a nice thing.