Liquid coconut oil vs solid

Candybee

Bought some coconut oil and was surprised that it was liquid instead of the solid I got before. Is there any difference?

I use it in M&P to help harden my soap. I suppose it won't make any difference in M&P. But I still would like to know if there is any significant difference I should be aware of.

Bought some coconut oil and was surprised that it was liquid instead of the solid I got before. Is there any difference?

I use it in M&P to help harden my soap. I suppose it won't make any difference in M&P. But I still would like to know if there is any significant difference I should be aware of.

Was it 76* or 92*? If it was hotter than 76 degrees, it melted, that's normal. No problems! There are 2 different melting points for 2 types of coconut oil. The second one is a tad harder and thus, melts at a higher temperature. Bring it inside, to a cooler room, and it will re-solidify.

Paul....

I ordered the 76 degree. I also thought it might be liquified because of the heat but its been sitting on a cool shelf and its packaged in a oil type container and not a butter tub. It definitely is not the solid coconut oil I am used too.

I googled different suppliers and saw it on another site that carries both the solid oil and the liquid. The liquid coconut oil is called 'fractionated' coconut oil. Its an oil that is used in lotions and is more expensive than the solid coconut oil. I'm thinking these people packed the wrong oil but if its the fractionated oil I want to try it.

Think I'll give them a little phone call today.

Just called the supplier and they are gonna send me the solid 76 degree coconut oil I ordered and not charge me. Turns out it is a liquid coconut oil I got by mistake that won't work in my M&P. Its for CP soaping and lip balms. They also said it was not the 'fractionated' one. Learn something new everyday.

First, the 76 is usually liquid in my house! So calling them liquid and solid will confuse some a bit - call it coconut oil (CO) or 76 degree coconut oil. the other, Fractionated Coconut Oil is usually called just that (or FCO).

To check exactly what is in your bottle, pour some into a small container and stick it in the fridge. If it solidifies it's not FCO. Then watch it as it warms to room temp. If it liquifies at about room temp (76 degrees) that's what you have - if it's still very solid at that temp you might have the 92 which acts the same as the 76 in soaps

Turns out it is a liquid coconut oil I got by mistake that won't work in my M&P. Its for CP soaping and lip balms. They also said it was not the 'fractionated' one.

So what exactly is it? The only coconut oil I know of that's liquid below 76 degrees is fractionated.

Okay.. so I took Carebears advice and put it in the fridge and it solidified. And-- its still solid after sitting at room temp for a couple hours.

I am going to take the suppliers advice and wait on the coconut oil they are sending me to replace this stuff. They said the coconut oil I got will not mix well with the M&P and leave flakes or lumps. But she did say its 76 degree coconut oil. So I am still confused. They say they have this one and another and they are both 76 degree coconut oil. :confused:

All I know is what I have now is NOT the one I have been using.

I would think that if in fact they do have two kinds of 76 degree CO, somewhere on the supplier site you could find BOTH types and do your own comparisons according to each's description or category in which each is found. But I know sometimes suppliers forget that a lot of us are newbies and they can be too vague for us. I'm wondering if maybe one type is pre-tempered and melts easier, maybe it's whipped or simply a higher quality due to a different pressing or collection process. Where as a lesser grade would be sold for high temp applications or CP because the lye will break it down easier?? Something like that anyways.... I dunno. Sometimes things will work just fine... but a supplier will tell you it's not 'the best'. Well a diamond that meets all 3 C credentials is 'the best'... but any old regular diamond will do me just fine. :wink2: Really- I don't know, lol. Just thinking out loud. I'll nip it now.:lipsrseal