RRD Wicks

I have done some testing and so far they seem pretty good, i just wanted to find out what others experience with them.

I am currently testing a 16 oz jar with a rrd55 wick with 1 oz of FO and 4 drops of color. Makes a really nice coffee colored candle occasionally leaves the tops kinda cottage cheese like but normally leaves it pretty clean. 55 rrd wick for me almost burns side to side just not totally. I really dont want to double wick but going to see by the time the candle is totally burned. This will be my only perfect candle.

I have done some testing and so far they seem pretty good, i just wanted to find out what others experience with them.

I am currently testing a 16 oz jar with a rrd55 wick with 1 oz of FO and 4 drops of color. Makes a really nice coffee colored candle occasionally leaves the tops kinda cottage cheese like but normally leaves it pretty clean. 55 rrd wick for me almost burns side to side just not totally. I really dont want to double wick but going to see by the time the candle is totally burned. This will be my only perfect candle.

What wax are you using? I use CB135 and RRD is my fav wick. I will change to another wick occasionally for different type containers.

The RRD wicks mushroom but I prefer that over a smoking wick which I seem to get with many of the self trimming wicks (LX, etc.) I also get a great hot throw with the RRD's. My second wick of choice for smaller containers is the HTP. I will also double wick some containers with the HTP.

Is this a 16 oz apothecary or mason? How many inches across?

apothecary 3.75 inches

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but RRD wicks have a directional flow, meaning there is a right side up to them.

No i didnt know that thanks a ton for the info :smiley2: I got pretabbed for now so i hope they come right side up.

i just wanted to find out what others experience with them.

Here is one post I pulled up using the search where they were covered but there are more. I've used them but they produce much more soot than other wicks I have tested after the candle burns past the middle of the jar.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55915&highlight=RRD

Maybe it's just me, but I've tested a whole lot of different wicks in soy and they either shroom (sometimes only 1st couple of burns) or they are "self trimming" and they burn one side more than the other. I'm learning to live with shrooms as long as I get a good MP. Face it, people are not going to mess around with turning the candle and messing with the direction the wick is going...we're lucky if they trim the wicks. I think that shrooms are like wetspots (and menopause?) ... we need to embrace them all!

:laugh2: Embrace menopause! I also had soot issues with RRD wicks plus my candles burned quicker than with other wicks I tested. However, someone on another post mentioned that in candle making there is always a trade off. If we have a certain problem with a wax and switch to another we may get rid of the first problem only to trade it for another. I've learned that it's the same issue with wicks. I've tested wicks that didn't produce any mushrooming but the MP was uneven, or the MP was perfect but the scent throw was lacking, the scent throw was great but there was mushrooming...We all strive for perfection but at some point we have to pick which wick or wax issues we are willing to live with. If not, it's easy to drive yourself crazy!