Does everybody here trim their wicks???

Hey, coconut, nothing nutty about that!! I TOTALLY agree with you, too! I powerburn and abuse some of my test candles for the same reasons as you stated! After all, we cannot assume that people will turn things at the right intervals, place them on a level surface out of drafts, trim and center wicks, etc. Heck, we can't even depend on folks to blow them out when they go to bed!!:undecided:shocked2:

For technical testing purposes, well sure, let's give our candles the controlled circumstances they are supposed to have to burn correctly; but we also have to take them outside, burn them in breezes for hours and hours and hours without trimming the wicks, etc. - break nearly every rule we can think of (that won't result in making our cats go "woof" or setting our homes on fire!) just to ensure that we have SOME idea of what'll happen when the general public abuses them...

Hey, coconut, nothing nutty about that!! I TOTALLY agree with you, too! I powerburn and abuse some of my test candles for the same reasons as you stated! After all, we cannot assume that people will turn things at the right intervals, place them on a level surface out of drafts, trim and center wicks, etc. Heck, we can't even depend on folks to blow them out when they go to bed!!:undecided:shocked2:

For technical testing purposes, well sure, let's give our candles the controlled circumstances they are supposed to have to burn correctly; but we also have to take them outside, burn them in breezes for hours and hours and hours without trimming the wicks, etc. - break nearly every rule we can think of (that won't result in making our cats go "woof" or setting our homes on fire!) just to ensure that we have SOME idea of what'll happen when the general public abuses them...

Thanks, I expected to get blasted for not trimming! I am in the lucky position of working in a large company where I personally know at least a couple of hundred people. I interview them constantly about their candle buying and burning habits. One told me she bought a big jar candle once, put it in the bathroom, lit it and forgot it. She came back hours later to a towering inferno of untrimmed wick (zinc maybe? don't know). Also I visit lots of antique malls and stores and see lots of candles being burned without trimming, sometimes right under ceiling fans going full blast!

So I try to test like the public thinks-set it and forget it, indoors, outdoors, in a draft. I have become a perfectionist about my wicked candles, which means I still don't have too many wicked candles to sell. :laugh2:

Thank goodness for tarts!

Stella pretty much said it all I agree I abuse my candles pretty badly also just to see what will happen that is why we always tell people to test and test some more. You can not do just one test and call it good. When I am trying out a new scent I pour 4 of each size One which is my core test is burned like the directions that tells me if I have my throw and my melt pools right the others I burn under various conditions for safety.

This is what is bad I know better but I am still a power burner. I will lite a candle and leave it burning all day long. I can not even after 7 year seem to break myself of the habit. I do not put a candle out and trim the wick half way through either. I will trim before each time I lite them.

This is what is bad I know better but I am still a power burner. I will lite a candle and leave it burning all day long. I can not even after 7 year seem to break myself of the habit. I do not put a candle out and trim the wick half way through either. I will trim before each time I lite them.

Well, since we're doing Confessions of a Power-Burner, I...ummmm... resemble that remark! :o:DI love to burn candles on my porch in the evenings and on a shelf over the television... WHAT WAX ON THE SCREEN?:shocked2:

:tiptoe:WHO would do something that STOOPID? :lipsrseal:lipsrseal:lipsrseal

I think the main thing is that we test our products first with all the rigid controls - trimmed wicks, draft-free environment, etc; BUT, then we need to test as a witless customer might burn the candle - no wick trimming, power burning, drafts, etc. It just isn't enough, IMHO to do simply one or the other. It's also very important to test all the way to the end of the candle - not halfway or just until we achieve a good melt pool - all the way 'til the end!! Very time consuming, but necessary...:D

*...self-confessed Power Burner...*

So long as we are into confessions, I too am Power Burner, if a little unsure of the meaning of the term. So long as I am home and not in bed a candle is burning and in all likelihood, the same one. If that's a power burner, then I am one.

I trim wicks only when they get that orange glow on the end or the musrooms, also glowing orange. And not a minute before. If a flame is burning too high I add wax chips rather than waste the wick.

I dont blow out my candles to trim either and end up with little black bits in my melt pool. Sometimes I fish out the bits with a Q-tip or other less flammable tool. If the wax is too dark for me to see the bits they stay there until the candle burns low enough to go to the "remelt station" where they get filtered out with a piece of pantyhose.

I am not a professional chandler, just a witless customer who likes to burn every last bit of wax that she buys. Its like gold. Witless customers can think of dozens of ways to burn candles and I am pleased that ya'll are so consciencious about making and testing your products to be as safe as possible under as many conditions as possible.

Next?:embarasse