Wicking afterwards?

Hi

just wondered how long after making a pillar you can wick it?

I've now got my hands on some of the wick pins, (large pillar ones, like the ones you use in votives), but am waiting on some pre-tabbed wicks, (should be here tuesday).

Daft question, can I make a lot this weekend and then wick them on Tuesday? I need to be getting on with making some stock for a craft fair, and am on hols a week today, so thought I'd have a start this weekend.

Can I just leave them out, do I have to wrap them or anything just for 4 days?

thanks

I've wicked mine days later when I need to make a bunch. The only thing you have to be careful of is warm wax filling in the hole after you pull it out of the mold and let it cool. I'm impatient and pull mine out probably too soon at times. If this happens I just heat up my pin with a heat gun and redo hole. HTHs.

You might not want to do the final pour before the wicks arrive. That can be a useful way of securing the wick in the candle. You need to remove the sustainer base from the wick or the candle won't extinguish when it burns to the bottom.

Only got 3 moulds and wanted to make quite a few ready to wick.

Those bigger wick pins, give out a massive burp ;) sight of some pin holes, so they are going back in the pot!! Don't mind, cos I love my house smelling of pink sugar :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by topofmurrayhill viewpost.gif

You need to remove the sustainer base from the wick or the candle won't extinguish when it burns to the bottom.

That's not always true.

I have to agree with Scented. I use some pretabbed wicks for a couple of my pillars and I use the 6 mm & 9 mm necked tab and they definately extinguish themselves at the bottom with no problems!! :cool2:

you don't have to put the pillar wick pin in the mold like you do with a votive. You can feed it threw the bottom. Just place a little putty around the outside of the pin to make sure the wax doesn't leak threw. The tops look much better this way.

Karen B

you don't have to put the pillar wick pin in the mold like you do with a votive. You can feed it threw the bottom. Just place a little putty around the outside of the pin to make sure the wax doesn't leak threw. The tops look much better this way.

Karen B

yes I've just found that out :( got a little bit of mould sealer round the top hole too now :angry2: Managed to get around the top edge looking neat though. I did want to put them in thru the bottom but the pin part wouldn't fit thru the hole.

For a forum where people are obsessive about securing wick tabs at the center of containers, you folks sure can be sanguine about making a pillar that can leave an open flame sitting directly on someone's tabletop.

More important than sometimes it doesn't happen is that often it does. I've tried it at least 5 or 6 times with a 6mm neck sustainer and ended up with a lit wick sitting in a puddle of wax every time. Others here have reported the same.

I imagine it can be fixed by sealing the hole in the tab with silicone, but haven't tested that solution.