Where do you get your M&P bases ??

maryann

I've only so far used WPS's bases, has anyone used them and can compare them to another company's base. I would like to start putting additives in my M&P soaps and WSP advises not too w/ their bases.

So I was wondering what bases people use and like PLUS use additives w/ successfully without decreasing the lather. Is there anything that can be added to increase the lather?

Also has anyone used stearic acid to make a "stronger bar" - I have read lots of debates where that decreases the lather. TIA for any help given - I appreciate it :)

I've only so far used WPS's bases, has anyone used them and can compare them to another company's base. I would like to start putting additives in my M&P soaps and WSP advises not too w/ their bases.

So I was wondering what bases people use and like PLUS use additives w/ successfully without decrease the lather. Is there anything that can be added to increase the lather?

Also has anyone used stearic acid to make a "stronger bar" - I have read lots of debates where that decreases the lather. TIA for any help given - I appreciate it :)

I use WSP bases and put all kinds of things in them:) so far I have had excellant luck with cocoa, oatmeal, added cocoa butter, vitE,lavendar,apricot kernel ,cucumber, corn meal etc.. with keeping my lather etc..I think WSP has a lather booster, but I havent tried it as i havent had any real decrease yet!

I've used WSP's bases (Satinducky has the last of mine ;) ), but now am only using SFIC's bases (thanks to Elizabeth and her co-op ) and to be honest, I haven't really noticed a difference.

Although, I DO notice that with the white bases (shea, oatmeal, goats milk, etc.) that the SFIC bases make for a harder bar than the WSP bases.

I haven't added a LOT of oils and such to mine, mostly just the oatmeal, and I DID notice that when I add the oats to the base it cuts the lather. :(

I'm really wanting to find a way to boost the lather (remember my post about hubby complaining?? :rolleyes2 ), but haven't really been working on it either.

If anyone finds a way to do so, be sure and post it please. :)

Okay here's the PM I sent to Maryann LMAO! (plus a few things I thought of after the fact)

I have tried lots of MP bases, and have added things to every single one of them. This is what I have determined:

They are almost all the same, and you can add stuff to any of them even if they say not to LOL!!

Adding Castor oil definately improves lather, and I use it at 2tbs or so per pound...I confess, I'm not much of a measurer when it comes to my soaps and baking, but I do keep it close. I add cocoa butter, shea butter and mango butter to my soap, and I have used as much as 1- 1 1/2 cups of butters in a 3 or 4 pound batch of soap! (I have no recipe in front of me here LOL, this is just off the top of my head)

Adding goats milk will improve lather, not really bubbles though. Your lather will feel much creamier..and also adding Cream @ 2-3 TBS pp will also make your lather feel like lotion! But Goats milk will always turn your soaps a little bit brown and make it harder to get a bright color of soap. I've added honey too. Straight from the jar. I've used up to 3 TBS pp of soap. I love the smell of it, but find that it's best to use it in light quantity. I typically add 2 TBS pp.

I also always add vitamin E oil to my batches of MP. I usually add about 1-2 TBS per pound. I have added so many things to my soaps, and so far the only things that have turned out crappy are FO's with vanilla in them...they always discolor it just like in CP soap. So...Happy ADDING!! Let me know how things work for you, and if you have any more questions, I'd love to answer them :D

you soap like me!!! BAHAAA

I have also used honey, brown sugar and powdered milk in mp ,lotion as well..still havent had a "bad" batch

Okay here's the PM I sent to Maryann LMAO! (plus a few things I thought of after the fact)

I have tried lots of MP bases, and have added things to every single one of them. This is what I have determined:

They are almost all the same, and you can add stuff to any of them even if they say not to LOL!!

Adding Castor oil definately improves lather, and I use it at 2tbs or so per pound...I confess, I'm not much of a measurer when it comes to my soaps and baking, but I do keep it close. I add cocoa butter, shea butter and mango butter to my soap, and I have used as much as 1- 1 1/2 cups of butters in a 3 or 4 pound batch of soap! (I have no recipe in front of me here LOL, this is just off the top of my head)

Adding goats milk will improve lather, not really bubbles though. Your lather will feel much creamier..and also adding Cream @ 2-3 TBS pp will also make your lather feel like lotion! But Goats milk will always turn your soaps a little bit brown and make it harder to get a bright color of soap. I've added honey too. Straight from the jar. I've used up to 3 TBS pp of soap. I love the smell of it, but find that it's best to use it in light quantity. I typically add 2 TBS pp.

I also always add vitamin E oil to my batches of MP. I usually add about 1-2 TBS per pound. I have added so many things to my soaps, and so far the only things that have turned out crappy are FO's with vanilla in them...they always discolor it just like in CP soap. So...Happy ADDING!! Let me know how things work for you, and if you have any more questions, I'd love to answer them :D

You go girl!! OR should I say GIRLS??!! ;)

Sharon, it sounds like you've added everything but the kitchen sink into your soaps!! LOL

I haven't been that brave or should I say CREATIVE as of yet, but I am bound and determined to get my oatmeal soap LATHERY so I'll be doing a lot of experimenting with it (bought some castor oil ;) ) very soon.

Thanks for the 411 Sharon! See sometimes it pays greatly to be nosey!! :D

Hey Mary Ann,

I use M&P from Florida Soap Supplies. I add a little tiny bit of stearic for hardness (just do that out of habit, her M&P might not even need it) and a squirt or two of liquid soap which produces loads of lather.

I just ordered on Sunday night from Florida Soap Supplies and got my stuff on Wednesday or Thursday.

Incredible as this is (to me at least) Ginny the owner is out of town in PA with a sick mom. She has her family (son & granddaughter) taking care of shipping out from Florida. But, she kept in touch with me as far as my order. She is truly an incredible supplier. She even has a place in PA to ship orders from.

I am a member of her yahoo group so I get an additional discount on my supplies also. :yay:

Chris