coconut 100%?

katshe

I would like to try this but have just purchased gallon of oo and soybean oil

would it be possible to make a bar

using high coconut ('bout 60%) that would use up almost a (container 31.5)of co for 3 lb batch-- and adding in oo, sb, crisco, lard, cb and keep superfat at 15 to 20 %

Not sure how to figure superfat for something like this.

Maybe use co 95% , 5% cb- Just thinking here- superfat 15%

watch out cause soybean oil is prone to DOS so you probably wouldn't want a huge superfat with that. same may be true of the olive oil, cause castile are my only soaps that get DOS often.

with cocoa butter I think it would be fine, dunno about lard or shea butter.

I did the big-time scary challenge with my 100% CO (20% SF) soap. I washed my face with it!!! It was slightly more drying than either my castile, but nothing my lotion couldn't handle.

ETA: my soap has only been out of the mold about a week, so it could use some more time to mellow. And I need that lotion daily no matter WHAT I use on my face, even just plain cool water.

ok, answer me this...is your (100% coconut oil soap superfat at 20% ) drying out your skin?

I would like to try this but am affraid that it will be too drying.:)

I tried mine in the shower after only a week. It is not drying at all. And the lather is phenomenal!

Try the 100% coconut...I think you will be pleasantly surprised! I sure was. I did a 33% lye solution and a 20% superfat.

I understand superfatting and water discount, but what does lye solution mean and how do you figure it. It's on soap calc, along with water/lye ratio, and that's something I don't understand.

I tried that 100% CO with 20% superfat in one batch and then I layered it with another formula which was also superfatted at 20% and that soap was ready to cut while it was still warm. It's been a month now and it is super creamy and not drying at all. My husband used it on his super scaly dry skin and he loved it. I sent a few bars out to others for testing but I like to age all of my soap for a few months and so I told them to allow the bars to sit for a little while longer. The fact that it is non drying after one month is a good thing I think:D

ok, answer me this...is your (100% coconut oil soap superfat at 20% ) drying out your skin?

I would like to try this but am affraid that it will be too drying.:)

I have super dry skin and it's as good in the shower as my normal gentle soaps. It's not quite as gentle as my castile on my face - left it a bit drier than the castile but nothing my normal daily moisturizer couldn't handle.

ETA: this soap was about a week out of the mold, in a couple of weeks it might be better.

I understand superfatting and water discount, but what does lye solution mean and how do you figure it. It's on soap calc, along with water/lye ratio, and that's something I don't understand.

It's the strength of your lye solution. It's another way to look at water discount - instead of saying you discount your water by 12% (discount from what?), you are saying that lye is 33% of the lye/water solution.

There's a FAQ about it http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1978

It's the strength of your lye solution. It's another way to look at water discount - instead of saying you discount your water by 12% (discount from what?), you are saying that lye is 33% of the lye/water solution.

There's a FAQ about it http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1978

So, if you had a recipe that say, called for 4.6 oz lye and you wanted a 30% lye solution you would multiply 4.6 x 2.3 to get 10.58 and that's how much water you use.

Is that correct?

I tried 100% coconut with 20% superfat last week after reading CareBear’s recommendation in the "bubby bar" thread. I just tried it today (9 days old) and it’s very nice, a soft silky texture, and not drying at all. I’m not thrilled about the lather, it has LOTS of bubbles but with no significant creamy lather they don’t last long enough to suit me. I’m thinking of trying it again with a little castor oil, maybe 15%. I figure superfat at 17%. Would I just be wasting my supplies?

The question for me would be does castor contribute to DOS? AT the hight superfat you are at risk for that. CO is really stable, but for example I would avoid Crisco or soy - but I haven't a clue about castor.

I'm thinking maybe palm or kokum butter perhaps? Just thinking out loud here. Or cocoa butter.

The question for me would be does castor contribute to DOS? AT the hight superfat you are at risk for that. CO is really stable, but for example I would avoid Crisco or soy - but I haven't a clue about castor.

I'm thinking maybe palm or kokum butter perhaps? Just thinking out loud here. Or cocoa butter.

Yes, DOS is what was worring me... and thank you for pointing out that I don't need castor, I have plenty of BUBBLES! I only want a bit more creamy lather. I think I'll try palm. Thank you.

Super Fatting is the percentage of extra oil you add to the soap to ensure all the lye is used up. one of you pros can explain it better than I can.

I tried 100% coconut with 20% superfat last week after reading CareBear’s recommendation in the "bubby bar" thread. I just tried it today (9 days old) and it’s very nice, a soft silky texture, and not drying at all. I’m not thrilled about the lather, it has LOTS of bubbles but with no significant creamy lather they don’t last long enough to suit me. I’m thinking of trying it again with a little castor oil, maybe 15%. I figure superfat at 17%. Would I just be wasting my supplies?

That's funny, cause I've made 2 small batches of 100% coconut oil now, one superfatted at 20% and one at 25% (how far can it go?) and I get lots of bubbles, but it also gets pretty creamy. It starts bubbly but when I really get a lather going that's when it gets creamy. I'm really loving this coconut soap!

Instead of adding castor or not as much, I'm wondering if just using goats or a combo of milks might add to some creamier lather? I personally love the combo of goats milk, buttermilk and coconut milk added to soap and how creamy the lather is for me. I use this combo in many of my recipes and can tell a difference if I just use plain ole' water as my liquid.

GA - do you use silk in your soaps? I find that helps to impart a silky feeling as well.