wicking the square mason jar

I am still struggling with wicking these jars and would love for someone to help me think this through. A serious case of analysis paralysis has set in! I am trying to decide bet the zinc 51 and zinc 60. When I first burned them, the zinc 60 seemed to burn too quickly, I was getting a full melt pool in about 90 minutes or so (the jars are 3 inches wide). Also, if I neglected to trim the wick completely, the flame was way too tall and smoking, not a little smoking, but a lot. The zinc 51's seemed perfect. I was getting a nice meltpool in exactly three hours and I had a nice steady flame. Now that I am about halfway through the test, the zinc 60's are burning nice and even, the zinc 51's are starting to tunnel, I also have to make sure to get a full meltpool, which is now taking longer than 3 hours to achieve. The cornors of these square jars are not quite melting. I am also getting lots of mushrooming, which is only happening now, not during the first half of the test. I also don't need to trim the wick on the zinc 51's now. Other than a big fat mushroom, the wick is staying at 1/4 inch in length, even after a four hour burn.

I also thought that a correctly wicked candle would burn faster as it gets closer to the bottom, not slower, but maybe I am wrong on that. If anyone would like to offer some feedback, l would really appreciate it!

What kind of wax? I use KY PB and mostly zinc wicks. Depending on the FO I use either a 51 or a 60.

Whoops, forgot to include that, didn't I! So obsessed with wicks that I have tunnel vision, lol. I am using J223, and a handful of different fo's.

Thank you both for your replies. It really helps to get feedback. So if I can just ask one more question...:tiptoe:

Generally should a candle burn faster or slower as the test continues to the bottom of the jar. Or is it not supposed to change from beginning to end?

Thank you both for your replies. It really helps to get feedback. So if I can just ask one more question...:tiptoe:

Generally should a candle burn faster or slower as the test continues to the bottom of the jar. Or is it not supposed to change from beginning to end?

In my experience, my candles generally burn a little faster towards the bottom of the jar.. at least it seems so. The melt pool definitely widens faster, and well.. it's kinda like that last half of your gas tank.. slurp and it's gone.

I 'm not really talking about the full last half of the candle, but probably the last couple of inches of a pint sized candle.

Overall I have brought my candles to a point where they burn slowly and steady throughout.. I can't recall them burning faster to start and then slowing down.. but that's not to say it's wrong.. it sounds like that's what works for your wax and that particular jar. ARe you getting any soot or otherwise unwanted qualities?

Thanks, Pa, for your reply! I am not getting much soot, but I am getting massive mushrooming now that I am halfway through the test, and the wick does not need to be trimmed even after 3-4 hours. It is still about 1/4 inch which seems really odd to me. I am going to keep burning it and see what happens.

I've been pouring 8 oz. and 16 oz. mason jars for the past 6 years.l 51-32-18z is the only wick I've ever used. And if trimmed like you are suppose to they are wonderful! My customers rave about how all the wax is melted on the sides and no soot!

HTH

Carrie

Thank you, that's good for me to hear! I am thinking the 51's are the way to go, and all this great feedback confirms that. During one of my tests, I lit the 60 wick without trimming just to see what would happen, and the mushroom popped and an ember flew out of the jar! So if ever there was an incentive to trim wicks, there it is!

I use J223, and depending on the scent, I use either 51-32-18z, 51-32-18c or htp 104.:smiley2:

Thank you!

Okay, I think the problem is solved (think being the operative word, lol) and I am totally and completely embarrassed, lol! Here goes...my meltpools are off-center, meaning my wicks are off-center, just slightly, I didn't even realize it with the naked eye, but the wicks are off just enough to wreck havoc with my test. I burned four fragrances side-by-side, which I usually don't do, and one melted beautifully and perfectly, and it was the one perfectly centered. The other three are hanging up on one or two sides but are deep elsewhere and that's why I'm not getting a full melt-pool and the corners are being stubborn. Duh!! :embarasse I'm still waiting to see what happens with the wicks, whether the remain small and with a giant mushroom or not.

Thanks to everyone for replying to my post, it really helped me problem solve.