Bought some candles to check out competition

When I go visiting my friend, I ALWAYS buy candles from this one place that makes them on site. It's one person making them and I've always loved them for their scent.

This time I went as a person that pours candles too and there were things I've never noticed before.

There are animals in the candle shop and any candle that didn't have a top had cat hair stuck to it. There was alot of dust on some of them too. The jars looked clean, but the votives that had sat for awhile... not so much.

I bought 2 different sized jars and took them back to where I was staying so I could really look at them.

Both jars smell wonderful and I've never had a candle from there yet that didn't throw well hot. So.... one candle has wax drippings on the inside, glue drippings on the inside. You can see where she topped off after the candle was cooled and then must have moved it because the 2nd pour isn't nice and flat plus it's all up along the sides. There's animal hair in the candle and what really got me was the fact that there is dirt embedded in the wax that you can see. The wicks are off center in both of them too.

I was amazed at how "dirty" the candle was. And here I drive myself silly to make sure there's no dirt and no hair of any kind.

Kimberly

I have dogs and there is no way I would be able to pour candles at my house....there would be hair everywhere!! LOL When I am cooking or baking, the dogs are sent out of the kitchen. They just walk by me and hair is airborne! :rolleyes2 I have no idea why I thought we needed two long-haired dogs!

Luckily, my business partner has no animals - but we still cover everything after we pour to keep any dust, etc. from landing in the candles.

If/when my children move out of the house I am going to convert one of the bedrooms into a workroom - and the dogs are NOT allowed upstairs!!! LOL

Isn't it amazing what we don't notice about the candles we have bought in the past until we start pouring our own?

I don't know if some people just don't notice things like that or they don't care. Maybe she's so use to animal hair on things that she doesn't really think much about it. I freak when my animals come visit while I'm making candles cause I know the hair will be there after they're gone. Our dog minds pretty good but the cat has to prowl into everything. Ginger

Talking about animal hair...I had purchased some second hand soy flakes and there was black animal hair all throughout the whole bag..20lbs! :shocked2: It was almost impossible to pick it all out so when I melted it..I poured int my pour pot then took a skewer and fished them out! :mad: UGH! :mad: No more second hand soy wax for me! I'll pay the price!!

Kimmeroo

I have two Jack Russells and they are only allowed in the living room and that is it. We use the children guard gates that prevent them from going anywhere else. They just are snoops and love to go thru stuff so this keeps them out of trouble and getting under my feet when I am making candles. I have almost tripped over them a couple times because they love to lay next to my feet. Not good....

Wow and you never noticed this before when you bought candles there?

I am so glad our dogs don't shed, They are the only dogs know that do not shed and people are not allergic to them. We got them because our last dog we had for 16 years, she shed and my son sneezed all the time from her. He was allergic to her hair, reason we know is because we had to cut some hair off of her, take it to the allergist and they did whatever they do to test it to him. The doctor said it was not only the hair being loose around the house but him even being near her. He is much older now and not as sensitive to some things but dog hair is one he still is. So when we were considering our dog we have now, we asked first for a clip of hair for testing. The doctor said, no one would be allergic to this hair. Now we knew the statements for them were true. Not to mention, they NEVER, NEVER Shed one hair. :yay:

But with that said, I use our 3 car garage and a spare bedroom for our production but not because of dog hair but because I fear what they could get into that could harm them.

I don't think I ever noticed the hair before because I wont by candles with no tops and I never buy votives... those were the ones with alot of hair and dust on them.

As a general consumer before I started making candles.... it never occured to me to look really close at the candles before burning. All I cared about was that it burned well and scented well.

Now as someone that pours candles, the embedded dirt is what gets me the most. What that tells me is that she doesn't care that her wax is dirty.

Kimberly

Wow!! How aweful is that! I have one dog that doesn't shed and the other is a chocolate lab and does. I am keeping a watch on my candles so nothing like that happens. I would be so :embarasse .

I don't even like for my house to smell like pets at all.

Thanks for the info.

I'm constantly checking the candles I pour for hair or dirt of any kind. I have 2 large dogs, 5 birds and 1 cat... and nothing bends me out of shape any faster than finding a hair in a candle. It's lost revenue for me and it tells me I wasn't being careful enough.

I expect my candles to be as darn close to perfect as they can be... anything less than that and I may as well just buy everyone elses (meaning like this lady's candle).

Kimberly

Talking about animal hair...I had purchased some second hand soy flakes and there was black animal hair all throughout the whole bag..20lbs! :shocked2: It was almost impossible to pick it all out so when I melted it..I poured int my pour pot then took a skewer and fished them out! :mad: UGH! :mad: No more second hand soy wax for me! I'll pay the price!!

Kimmeroo

I was given some second hand wax and there was lots of mouse turds in it!!!animal-smiley-4910.gif

I gave up trying to fish those little suckers out.

I ended up throwing out the wax, turds and all character-smiley-17181.gif LOL

That is totally understandable. And I am sure ALL the people that buy her candles don't see it either, goes to show you what is out there and people will buy it. Then people like us work hard to put out a top notch, top quality product and we sell half or less than half than some of these non caring people do. Go figure!

I don't think I ever noticed the hair before because I wont by candles with no tops and I never buy votives... those were the ones with alot of hair and dust on them.

As a general consumer before I started making candles.... it never occured to me to look really close at the candles before burning. All I cared about was that it burned well and scented well.

Now as someone that pours candles, the embedded dirt is what gets me the most. What that tells me is that she doesn't care that her wax is dirty.

Kimberly

I have 2 dogs and 6 cats, and while I don't mind hair in my house, with us it is a fact of life, I can't imagine selling soap and candles with hair in them. I moved my stuuff to the shop, and I still occasionally find a Lab hair on my stuff. I guess I ooze it, since no one else has a Lab.