A question about hurricane

Hi, hurricane candles are my next attempt.. if I can find something to use as a mold.

But there is a thing I don't see clearly: when you use a hurricane mold with insert the hurricane canlde has the bottom or not? Hope you understand what I mean.. the insert is touching the bottom of the mold?

bye bye

Yes, hurricanes have a bottom. The insert is simply put there to hold embeds in place untio the outside cools enough for the wax to hold them. You lift the insert off and on to make sure a bottom forms and that the walls don't stick to it. Once the shell has cooled enought to hold the embeds, remove the insert. If you're not doing 3D embeds, you don't need it. Like with a plain shell or imbedding a picture, it has no purpose. HTH

When i made my hurricanes. I left the insert in there (it touched the bottom) then when my embeds were covered enough to hold them I removed the insert.

After a while the wax will form a bottom. The good thing about it is you really don't want a thick bottom cause it'll be obvious when you put you tealight in.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Oh also about finding a mold. I don't know exactly what you guys have in Italy, but here our butter and some of our ice cream comes in big plastic tubs. They are round. They work really well for your first hurricanes. They make a beautiful finish too. I hope I atleast inspired you to come up with some ideas.

Watching this post with interest. I want to make hurricanes with pics in them of my grand children in them. I've done a lot of reading and looking so far. I bought a hurricane mold today so I'm getting close to taking the step. I also bought a couple blocks of 1260 to make them (supposed to be the right wax)

Oh also about finding a mold. I don't know exactly what you guys have in Italy, but here our butter and some of our ice cream comes in big plastic tubs. They are round. They work really well for your first hurricanes. They make a beautiful finish too. I hope I atleast inspired you to come up with some ideas.

Thank you very much! In fact I was thinking to buy coffee beans, they come in aluminum can, so I thought it could be a nice mold!!!

Thank you very much! In fact I was thinking to buy coffee beans, they come in aluminum can, so I thought it could be a nice mold!!!

Just make sure it has smooth and perfectly straight sides! Or tapers out at the top... otherwise, you wont be able to get it out. I don't know about there, but here, our coffee cans have ridges in them :sad2: