what makes frosting worse?

Ok,

WOW,

How about some more confusion :waiting:

Ok for the wax I am working with supplier suggested to pour very cool the cooler the better to help avoid frosting

Another respected tech help said: Pour hotter and preheat jars abit.

How about you guys? What factors affect your soy to frost besides certain FOs.?

At this point I am thinking about not coloring my candles and staying white.

Thanks for your input. :D

Hi. I don't know if this is true or not, but my worst frosting issues came in wax that accidentally got heated to about 210. I cooled it before adding color and FO, but super frosting the whole way around, on the bottom and the top. I haven't tested this theory yet, but wondered if anyone else had the same experience? Beth

In my 6 years of struggling with the sox waxes, here is what I have found promotes frosting:

1. pouring hot, instead of cool

2. pouring too cool; very slushy. I usually pour my soy wax when there are some flakes on top of the wax; the wax looks a bit cloudy, and when GENTLY stirring, I have a small amount of wax on the tip of my spoon from the pouring pot bottom. I cannot tell you the temperature of the wax, but when pouring this way, I do not get frost, plus I get a very smooth top. Also, when pouring into jars, pour slowly.

3. Stirring too briskly incorporating air bubbles in the wax.

4. Using liquid color.

5. Using too much color, no matter what kind. I keep my candles in the range of pastels to a medium color. I gave up on trying to color them dark since I got a ton of frosting.

6. Moving the candles while they are setting up, and not spacing them far enough apart. I usually space my jars, at least, 2" apart, if not more.

7. When using color, some fragrances will frost no matter what you do.

There are additives you can add to stop the frosting: beeswax at no more than 3%. You can add up to 5% beeswax, but be prepared to do repours. Also, I have found Joy wax to be a good additive at 30% and up, but be prepared to test, test, test and test this combination since the Joy wax has a tendency to smoke/soot if not wicked correctly. If you are not opposed to paraffin, you can add a container paraffin wax to stop the frosting also. Again, test thoroughly for smoke/soot issues. I have found the best wick to use when adding the Joy wax, or paraffin are the zincs; since they are a cooler wick, they tend to produce less smoke/soot.

On a closing note, I finally eliminated color from my soy wax candles and started using the frosted glassware. I found, no matter what I did with the straight sox waxes (NO additives), it will frost eventually if sitting around for a length of time. If you decide to eliminate color, here is a jar site with some nice frosted glassware.

www.jarstore.com

Hope this helps you out! :yay:

Love it Love it Love it,

I just love all the help on this board.

Marcha

Thank you so much. :yay::yay::yay:

If I decide to not use color do you think it will hurt the sale of my candles?

White really goes great with my compan's name and slogan.

Personally I do not think using NO color will hurt your sales. I use it as a selling point...customers do not have to worry about what candle fragrance will go with their colored decor; they can pick any color since white, off white, euche, and so on, go with anything. Some fragrances will change the color of the white wax though; like Creme Brulee will turn a bright yellow once it sits for awhile. Patchouli Orange changes to a light orange. So, you will still have some color due to the fragrances and how they react in the wax you are using. HTH

All I know is my candles are pretty and have nice color using the blocks but as soon as they get to hot or to cold that does it.That dreaded frosting.I have had a few say they still smell good and it won't hurt them.I say NO.I am the one to take defense and then they say they should be fine.

I still do think alot look and go on and want that pretty color and maybe don't know what that whitish stuff is.There are those also!!!!

Think something is wrong with them.

LynnS