Avoid the DJ! LOL

brydean

I did a small festival in my own town this past weekend. I didn't expect big sales. As they are completely tearing up and redesigning the main street in town. So they didn't advertise this year. I knew it would be small, but I figured local I'll do it anyway. Day started out great, had 3 big sales within 15min. Then the DJ set up right accross from me!:mad: I could barely talk to the customers as the music was so loud. Then he kept having contests, so people would gather near my booth but not to buy. Music blasted from 12-6. Then everytime someone, got dunked in the dunk tank down the street a stream of water came rushing down the street, so I was standing in a puddle of streaming water! LOL had to move my main table forward which messed up my display. Then some lady picked up one of my bath salts and I could tell she was bad mouthing one of my ingredients or something to her friend. But, I couldn't hear what she was saying due to the music. By that point I didn't even care anymore. Oh well, I made back my booth fee and a little extra. I just had to share with people who would understand! :grin2:

Of course that same Dj will be at another festival I am doing in 2 weeks. If I see him setting up near me, I'm dragging my booth in the opposite direction!:P

I cannot stand most of the noise generated at some of these events. My personal feeling is that they should let you know ahead of time if something like that would bother you. I would have gone insane putting up with that for several hours. Now go and have a stiff drink, you deserve it.

Oh no, that's terrible! If you think you'll try that show again next year, maybe suggest they have the dunk tank in a low spot and keep the DJ near the games like that rather than the craft show. Maybe even warn the promoter of your show in 2 weeks that you don't want to be too near the DJ because of the volume. At least it wasn't a total loss, and maybe you'll get repeat customers from it.

I do understand. Last week we did a five day county fair booth. First time, we were under the grandstands. So all the events, tractor pulling, races, bands, everything was over our heads. Geez. We did sell some things, gave out a ton of pamphlets but boy was it stressful.

You need to contact the promoter and complain that is the only way they know something was wrong. If it is a town run show most of the time they don't really have a clue how vendors should be set up. What is worse it never fails that it will be a different person each year running it so if you are going to do it again make sure and talk to who is running it that year and voice you feeling and experance to them.

lol - I would love the DJ (DH is one) so if it is him, he would name drop for me or if it was one of his friends or employees, same thing. If it wasn't someone he readily knew, I would have him come mingle and then have people directed to me.....

lol

maybe I am different.

[quote=mizbizzyb;519772]lol - I would love the DJ (DH is one) so if it is him, he would name drop for me or if it was one of his friends or employees, same thing. If it wasn't someone he readily knew, I would have him come mingle and then have people directed to me.....

lol

maybe I am different.

I Think You are missing the Point here. Having a booth across from someone who is being loud and blaring music is very distressful to those of us who are used to providing customer service to ALL of our possible Customers. I talk to everyone who enters/walks by my booth. I Do understand that some people just sit behond a booth and wait for customers to ask to purchase an item, but that's not my style. I Like to interact with customers, even those who are just browsing or aren't even interested in Purchasing. You never know who you will meet.

ETA: DEFINATLY CONTACT the show you have with the same DJ and tell them that this is NOT accetpable. Remember, You are paying them for the space.. THEY ARE using YOUR money to pay for the DJ.

Craft promoters really need to be more attentive to these details. There are more and more people at shows who are piano, harp, flute music writers and players, that sit and play their music all day, to help generate sales. Yet many of the surrounding booths suffer from the noise.

Last year I was placed next to a booth of mystical flutes at holiday time. All of the vendors around this booth complained several times about how LOUD the music was. I worked from one end of my 20 foot booth in hopes to avoid the music from the other side and it seemed no matter how loud I talked my customers couldnt' hear me. I eventually put a piece of napkin in my ear to help stop the noise on that side of my head.

The next morning I was in ER with a terrific ear ache accompanied by seepage, only to find out my ear drum had swollen and perforated from the noise. Did the promoter care,, nope, they had their money and they are not responsible for accidents. :mad:

SherriLynn, I totally agree with you. Music and other noise can be so intrusive, which is why I seldom go to things where there are crowds and "free music". When you have to scream at the people with you to be heard, the "music" is perhaps a bit loud.

Also, one person's "music" can be another person's "torture". I tend to be fairly open-minded as regards music, and I love rock, classical, opera, folk, jazz, blues, reggae etc, but I can't abide country or rap or what I think of as "slut" music. My blood pressure rises when I'm stopped at a light behind someone blasting rap or country; if I had to spend a whole day having it scream at me, I'd be insane. And I love flute music, although what mystical flute music Is, I don't know, but a day full of probably loudly amplified flute music would also probably put me in the hospital. A little respect for other people is always a good thing.

That's horrible! I am a soft spoken person by nature so I already have to speak up for people to hear me sometimes. I can't imagine having to scream at all of my customers.

I did a show last year at our local mall, they had a music showcase as well. It was located right across from my booth, but they had it set up inside of an empty store so you could barely hear it out in the hall area where the booth's were set up. I hadn't really given it much thought until your post, but I can definately see where extremely loud music could be annoying and a loss of potential sales.

Hope at your next show you are located far, far away from the DJ and anything annoying. Nobody should have to suffer two shows in a row.

Jennifer