To Swirl or Not to Swirl?

The first picture is plain oatmeal, honey soap. I wanted to swirl it but goofed and forgot to add the stearic acid so had to plot it in the pot and cook it (or toss the whole thing out) the second picture is it in the pot, which I just thought looked, well, not what I was expecting from the reading I did.

The third picture is the oatmeal honey soap swirled. I expected the oatmeal to give a bit of a tan color. The brown is just the honey (with some of the soap sans oatmeal).

So… to swirl or not to swirl? Which looks better?

post-7822-13945843098_thumb.jpg

post-7822-139458430983_thumb.jpg

post-7822-139458430985_thumb.jpg

I am a fan of swirled soaps so most of mine are at least an attempt at a swirl. However my best selling soap is a plain, unswirled bar of goatsmilk soap. Maybe people like the more natural look .. I am still trying to fiqure out why some soap bars sell better than others.

The plain one gives it a more "natural" feel. I'd go with that.

The plain looking ones usually give the impression that they're more "pure and natural" than swirled soaps, even though this may not necessarily be true. It's all about marketing and packaging (this counts as packaging, I think), really.

Wow, hard to say - they both look fabulous. :thumbsup: I agree with the others, as a rule for an oatmeal honey I'd go with the non-swirled - it does fill the expectation of "natural". Besides, yours has plenty of variaton in texture & shades for visual appeal.

But, man oh man, that swirl looks EXACTLY like a caramel-fudge-marble ice cream I used to get in college, and I would personally snap them up purely on that account. :drool:

Go Grandma!!!!! 23_32_7.gif

It's hard to choose!!! I absolutely adore both of them!!! I just did an oatmeal and honey log tonight!!! It's sleepin' in the mold right now...

Doesn't oatmeal and honey smell lovely?????

I like the esthetics of the swirled but it just doesn’t look like oatmeal honey. Smells good though!

Also I was looking at the bars tonight, they are a week old and the white part is nice and hard but the brown (honey) part is still very soft. This could be a problem… if it doesn’t harden up it’s going to melt faster than the rest of the bar, not what I think most people will want, and if it does dry out I think it will shrink and crack and that’s not going to look to good. Well, I’ll wait a couple weeks and see what happens.