Packaging tarts...

I made some lavender basil tarts this afternoon and am just now warming one up in our bedroom. HOLY COW - this baby throws some scent off.... The wife loves it... and using a little coconut oil

Do tarts always have a higher scent with the warmer than an avg. 8 oz jar? Just curious... I'm doing this as a hobby and for family and friends...

How you package your tarts is pureley a personal preference. I package mine in a polyethylene sleeve in sets of six and tie it at the top w/ rafia and add a hang tag to it.

Many of what you see in stores like Y****e are shrink wrapped. This would only require purchasing shrink wrap material. sealing the tart in it and hitting it w/ a heat gun. I've had wholesale clients that would just put the plain tart into clear jars and sell them that way. The fragrance would really knock your socks off when you took the lid off the container.

hth a little

Greg

If I have time, I package mine as soon as they're cooled so that I can get them out of the way. I used to shrink wrap mine but started just sealing them in the individual bags and then labeling. I also like the small zip lock bags from KY for them, too.

after I make mine I wrap them in a paper towel for a day then I put 8 in a cello bag. the reason I wait a day is to let them cure. Then I put them in my cello bags with a pretty metallic tie and they are ready to go. I find that they do not mark up the bag if done this way,,

I actually shrink wrap mine. Only way they hold up for me for shows. I had an impulse sealer and it did a nice job.. just took a bit of time. Now I have a sealing wand that allows me to shrink 20 in less than 2 minutes. It is a bit of an investment but sooo worth it in the time it saves. I can shrink anything with this. The film allows the scent through too. http://www.nationalshrinkwrap.com/

Awsome customer service as well.

This is how I do mine. I buy 4x6 heat shrink bags from WS: http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com

I also bought an impulse sealer with a trim and seal element:

http://www.packcoinc.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=43

impulsesealer.jpg

I put 2 melts in a bag:

tarts.jpg

Put the bag in sideways:

insealer.jpg

Put the bag back in:

sealer2.jpg

I end up with this here:

tarts1.jpg

And then I hit it with a heat gun:

heatsealed.jpg

I like the way it turns out. I use 2 melts, but you can get smaller bags and just put one in if that suits you better. The impulse sealer was about $275 shipped, but WELL worth it IMO :-)

I like using brown craft tin tie bags ... I use the ones with the window.

Where do you get the bags that display a window? I have 4x6 polypro bags however I'm noticing they mark up pretty good which makes it look tacky, IMO. I will use these bags for my ornies.

thanks

I use to buy the poly pro bags from C&S and individually wrap my tarts with colored ribbon to match the seasons but that was too time consuming. Now that I have much more customers and go to more shows I have been using the small wilton bags at walmart in the craft/bridal section. They hold each tart nicely then i fold bag over and secure with a round label with tart burn instructions along with the name of the scent this works well for me. Then they choose which ones they like and they don't have to commit to buying more than one tart of the same fragrance unless they want to.

Stephanie

I can't stand the smell of shrink wrap on my tarts. I use zip lock poly pro bags BUT on the candle gallery, someone posted pics of using bags similar to the sippy drinks bags. She got them at WSP. I love the look of them and will switch to those. It averages out to about 24 cents each plus the cost of shipping. Definitely gives it a much nicer delivery presentation.

I have been using clamshells but want to have different shapes of tarts and I think that was my missing piece in the packaging area.

How you package your tarts is pureley a personal preference. I package mine in a polyethylene sleeve in sets of six and tie it at the top w/ rafia and add a hang tag to it.

Many of what you see in stores like Y****e are shrink wrapped. This would only require purchasing shrink wrap material. sealing the tart in it and hitting it w/ a heat gun. I've had wholesale clients that would just put the plain tart into clear jars and sell them that way. The fragrance would really knock your socks off when you took the lid off the container.

hth a little

Greg

That sounds like a great idea. Where do you get those type of sleeve bags?

Angi

Guest Candelishis

Tried to post pics, but can't find the cable to upload my pictures from my camera...damn computers! lol.

I still hand package everything I make. It's time consuming, but IMO, worth it. Here's what I do: I print out sheets of 2x4 labels, they're all the same, but some say "Handpoured soy candles" and some say "handmade soy wax melts". For the tarts, I put them in a 3x5 ziploc (my customers say that since my tarts are big, they like the ziploc because they break them in half and save the rest for later in the same package!), and put the ziploc between the sticky label and a 2x4 piece of cardstock. The bond between the label and the cardstock holds the baggie in place. I handwrite the flavor (I call them flavors...lol...since my company is called candelishis) on each melt and candle.

For candles, I take a "super-clear" bag and slap a label on it (my jars with lids get the label on the jar...my more "designer" ones are too pretty to put a label on the jar!), and tie the bag up with a silver sparkly twistie tie.

I do spend a lot of time packaging, but my hubby owns a construction business and is an obsessive deer hunter, so we sit at the table together and he works on blueprints and bids, and I package candles while we chat.