Wax question

I am very new at this and have a question that may seem a little silly.

I just ordered the 4786 candle wax and was wondering can it be used for votives? I know its a container wax but I'm doing more practicing with votives for now.

Thanks!!

You shouldn't need to worry about fires. Votives, when burned properly in a tight fitting holder, is just like a mini container candle. The biggest trouble you may have trying to use a container wax is getting the votive out of the mold if the wax is too soft. ;)

On an idiot move, I accidentally poured container wax into votive molds (that'll teach me to work with both waxes at the same time).

If you want to get them out of the mold, you can put them in the freezer, until it hardens totally, and it slides right out.

I did burn one, just out of curiousity, and it seemed not to burn as long as my pillar wax. So I did end up doing a few side by sides from the other ones, and it does burn just a scosh shorter than both, but I saw no real other drawbacks. ETA: However, these would be soooo messy over time, since I usually need a stash of about 30 votives and I keep them in a rather warm closet.

You have all been really helpful :)

Being very new at this I was not sure what the difference in the was was, but I did order about 60lbs of the 4786 cause I had thought I'd start with containers first. But I've learned that my experiments are better done in votives lol..

So if the only real difference is the texture of the wax and its just for my own use I think from what I've read I'll be ok with my mad scientist experiments.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering this exact question, if container wax could be used for votives. Not sure I want to bother with putting them in the freezer, so I may not do this now. But... what made me consider it is it seems I read somewhere that throw is better with container waxes. Does that sound familiar to anybody?

Darbla